increase in lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ollie51

what can happen when you increase your lighting from 2 150 mh 10000k to 250 mh 10000k? new lite also has 2 96 watt actinic

Many things can happen when u upgrade lighting. the current resident corals may change color (most of the time go brown) or even bleach. If the coral cahnges to brown I wouldn't worry about it too much, however If the coral begins to bleach quickly place the in areas with less light i.e caves. Make sure you keep an eye on ur temperature. When I upgraded to a 400 make tank increased several degree's.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

If you acclimate your corals to the new light properly, they will not turn brown or bleach.

Hello,
Keep an eye on your tank temperature. It will often rise a few degrees because of the increased wattage. I also recommend a reduced photo period. 3-4 hours long for 5 days or so, then 6 hours for 5 days, then 8-9 hours. SPS corals can change colors, darken, or become lighter in response to changes in lighting intensity or spectrum. A coral that turns brown or very colorful is not an indicator of coral health just a response/adaptation to environmental conditions.

Regards,
Kevin

Back