increasing water volume?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hungup76

Is their any thing I need to do to add another 55g on to an to my existing 120g system. so that I will have no adverse effect on my bio filter. the add on tank will be a 55g long bare bottom tank that will house my anemones. (one day) for now it will just be extra water storage. my thinking is that the increased volume that is not going to have its own bio filter. will add more stress on to my existing filtration system. Until it grows to handle the extra volume. am going to have to increase the bio filter in my display tank with products like bio-spira?

I'd say it'd be fine if it was all plumbed together. Just have circulation and heat.

My idea was to slowly do it. Do like a 20 gallon water change..... Let it sit for a few weeks. Being circulated of course.
Then do another 20 gallon. Until you have your 55 full of your " old " water.

Just an idea. Idk if itd work just my 2 cents.

If you just ried it into your existing tank there wouldnt be any oroblems. The problems would be from the livestock rock and sand you put in. Not to much of anything "alive" should be added at once. But its just going to be an empty tank with water as you said. Would be fine. If its not tied into your current system, and just had saltwater in it, it would be no different than storing premixed water in a garbage can or bucket. Just keep it warm and circulating. Just my 2¢…

If you just ried it into your existing tank there wouldnt be any oroblems. The problems would be from the livestock rock and sand you put in. Not to much of anything "alive" should be added at once. But its just going to be an empty tank with water as you said. Would be fine. If its not tied into your current system, and just had saltwater in it, it would be no different than storing premixed water in a garbage can or bucket. Just keep it warm and circulating. Just my 2¢…

No I was going to fill it in to the system for filtration. I will not have anything in it any time soon exept water. So will increaseing my system by 55 gal going to shock the system? so that I need to slowly add volume to 55g?
i know the I go to stock that tank tha the rules of stocking any system. Slowly!

The more water volume you have usually the more stabile the tank is, as far as additives , ph and such. But one thing to really think about is if the power goes out and the water drains to the sump, will the sump hold the extra drain back water??? Also will your skimmer need to be upgraded to handle the higher bio load as you add stuff to the new tank. Just adding another tank to the system with just new saltwater shouldn't make a difference, besides more water volume and more water to keep warm. Have power heads in the new tank to keep debris from settling in that tank and not getting filtered out of the water colum. JMO

It will be like opening your window and getting a breath of fresh air.

Tie it in, more is better.

our power go's out in the winter a lot so we had to think out side the box till out auto gen. kicks in. so our pumps are sent to not let the sump fill over our equalized line. Our system can over flow our sump.

Back