Info for Shrimp Gobies and their symbionts

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rjarnold

Frogfish Aficionado
Hi -

I'm looking for info on shrimp gobies and their shrimp partners - ie, what are the max. sizes of the shrimp, what does the depth of the sand bed need to be, what is the min. tank size for different species, etc. There are a couple of gobies I'm interested in - the spike-fin and the pink bar. However, the tank I want to use is a 20G cube (with a sump). Is it possible to house them in this tank?

Thanks!

For that size of display tank, you want to choose only one fish that won't exceed about 3" in length even when it is a full adult. Few fishes fit this limit. But if you do find one that does and it partners with a shrimp, that is about all you can have in that aquarium in the way of fish and inverts (that produce appreciable nitrogen wastes). Some snails and a couple easy corals would work, too.

Having established the above limit just apply it to any you are thinking about:
The Spike Fin Discordipinna Griessingeri achieves a captive length of up to 1.5" and would be fine in that aquarium.

The Pink Bar Cryptocentrus aurora achieves a captive length of over 4" and would be too large for that aquarium.

Choose a substrate best suited (size of particles) for the burrowing fish. It should be deep enough to match the full length of the fish or more.

Thanks Lee! One more question - I have a fine substrate (black moon) that I was thinking about, but I thought perhaps a slightly coarser grade would be 'easier' to build tunnels in, no?

For that size of display tank, you want to choose only one fish that won't exceed about 3" in length even when it is a full adult. Few fishes fit this limit. But if you do find one that does and it partners with a shrimp, that is about all you can have in that aquarium in the way of fish and inverts (that produce appreciable nitrogen wastes). Some snails and a couple easy corals would work, too.

Having established the above limit just apply it to any you are thinking about:
The Spike Fin Discordipinna Griessingeri achieves a captive length of up to 1.5" and would be fine in that aquarium.

The Pink Bar Cryptocentrus aurora achieves a captive length of over 4" and would be too large for that aquarium.

Choose a substrate best suited (size of particles) for the burrowing fish. It should be deep enough to match the full length of the fish or more.

Generally, but not always, the best substrate for these guys is a medium to course substrate. Still, it depends upon the fish. The Pink Bar for instance is definitely one that needs/prefers course substrates.

You are correct -- the finer the substrate the more difficult it is to keep a 'hole' in it. :D

hi.....

i had a yellow watchman gobie with alpheus randali, and a randals goby with the same sybiont shrimp.

my sand is alittle finer than the shrimp liked, so i added shells that i had collected, and crushed in a towel with a sledge hammer. (demolition)

and that was all they needed.

you can also use live rock with a small opening on the bottom, or maybe even drill your own holes.

as for the sand bed they will gather sand and make an opening or tunnel so as long as you have a good 2 inches the shrimp should be fine. at least as long as you don't get the 8"ers.

if you do that than you need acrylic, because when they snap a bubble which reaches over5000 degrees ferrenhiet when first created, shoots forward with the awe inspiring force of a 22 caliber bullit as it leaves the barrel of the gun.

other than that you should be okay.

mine died, they were assasinated by another snapper that hitched a ride, it has since murdered my swalesi basslet. I 'm trying but i can't catch him; will start a forum.

Thank you for all the info! I am re-thinking the Griessingeri goby, however, as I do more reading about it. Thus far I've read that it hides *a lot*, but the worst of it being that it's never been shown to really form a symbiotic relationship with a shrimp... ? I definitely want a shrimp goby - I realize they don't always pair up but I want to have a good chance of that happening :) Another I was looking at was a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes), which obtains about 2" in length. I've got the sand now - bypassed using my black moon sand and got something slightly coarser.

Back