Info needed on an Engineer Goby/White Stripe Blenny

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

B

belly_up12

Hi - I just have a question. I bought a white stripe blenny about 4 months ago. I didn't know anything about them at the time, I just thought he looked cool.

Well... now his appearance has changed a lot - although I don't see him much, he appears to be about 8 inches long and is now black with white spots.

I've done some research and found that he appears to be what's being called an "Engineer Goby" and apparenlty is neither a goby or a blenny. The official name that I was able to find for him is Pholidichthys leucotaenia.

The information that I've found says that they're peaceful and get along with everyone else in the tank. Other than a brittle star, I haven't had any other fish in the tank for several months.

The other day, I put a black and white percula and a yellow tank in the tank and it appears that he attacked and killed the perc.

Does anyone have any information they can share on these unusual creatures?

Tank size and/or the location the clown settle in relation to where the "engineers" call home might be the issue. I have had two of them for about 5 years along with a mated true/false perc pair and have not had any issues. What you read about their demeanor is quite correct. They are a rather shy and reclusive species that tends to withdraw at the first sign of aggression.

Were they outright aggressive from the get go or only at certain times like when fed?

Cheers
Steve

I have two engineers in my tank with lots of other fish including two tomato clowns and have not have any issues. If you have sand they will dig and burrow under your live rock so make sure the rock is sitting on the bottom and not on top of the sand. They can cause an avalanche if the rock is sitting on the sand.

Did you watch them kill the perc or show aggression toward it? Hard to believe the engineers killed a perc but you never know.

Engineers are truly beautiful fish, mine are a some what yellow tiger striped.

Engineer goby becomes what is called a convict blenny as an adult. Can grow up to 12" and will eat almost anything they can fit in their mouths. They are peaceful, but when hungry will eat what is available. Beleive I read somewhere they will even eat inverts.

ok, thanks for the help ill just try to whach and see what happens and hope no more fish die.
thx,
belly_up12

Good to see you again, belly_up12! What size tank are the fish in? How is the yellow tang doing, and what type of brittle star do you have?

The only thing I have seen my EG do to a snail was pick it up and move it when it was burrowing in the sand.! Strong little dude.:razz:

Back