Inherited Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dishsail

I will be inheriting a rather large tank, 4 or 5 feet long guessing it is a 120G or larger. With this tank will come a custom built stand and canopy. There is one overflow in the center of the tank.

The concern I have is the fact that the person whole currently owns the tank had used hard cleaners on the tank to get rid of the salt build up. She often uses window cleaner on the glass to clean it.

I do not have the funds to purchase a replacement tank so I am looking for suggestions and comments on whether this tank will be usable as a reef tank. I understand that I may have to do an elongated cycling period or possibly have to purchase some other product to get rid of the chemicals. I will compare the cost of the products to the cost of a replacement tank.

I plan on using the tank as a display tank for my new business. I also hope to replicate an Indo-Pacific reef not sure of the type of reef I'm looking to build. Looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
Joseph Petry
Owner & Marine Aquarist
Calming Creations

What does 'hard cleaners' include? Glass is an inert material - you will probably be OK.

* Bleach - OK
* Vinegar - OK
* Muriatic Acid - OK
* Baking Soda - OK
* Windex - OK if washed off
* General Soaps - OK if washed off well

My last tank came with the worst hard water stains I have ever seen. After trying vinegar and a razor blade I actually succumbed to my wife's pressure and used a hard core bathroom cleaner. I would NOT recommend this; however, the stains were really that bad. I had a successful reef in it for a couple of years before I upgraded to a larger setup.

Back