Inside acrylic scratches?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Scooterman

Is there any way to repair slight scratches inside your tank without draining it? As careful as you can be, it seems every now & then I get a scratch here & there. I have a hammerhead mag, I check it & the surface inside & out but still slip up some. I even clean the outer surface with a spray of Novus & diaper first. I know now that I've been doing it a while I'm more cautious & see less of this happening but just wanted to see what was out there if anything.
:exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

That is what I was thinking, or even finer grit paper. I wouldn't actually do it now but eventually I would If I get any more. I have two up front, one small super light one up top & one at the bottom that is hard to see but very long if you get at the right angle to see it.

Don where do you get the micro mesh?

Thanks for the replies.

From the manufacturer. There are alot of places that sell expensive kits. It will be on the reefwerks site next week by the sheet instead of the kits.

Don

I need to do this too. I'm terrible for picking up fine sand and scratching my tank!

Don, is Reefwerks the name of your site? (I forget.)

I need to do this too. I'm terrible for picking up fine sand and scratching my tank!

Don, is Reefwerks the name of your site? (I forget.)

Yes it is. I seem to be forever sanding scratches. My clams are always trashing my front. I'm wishing I would have used glass.:)

Don

Don, does your kits come with the micromesh or only separate? I need to order a few things so I guess I'll have to make a list, I've been putting off because every time I make an order I always forget on or two items, really burns my butt having to pay all the extra shipping.

sorry to bump an old thread but are you able to submerge the paper and or
micromesh, or does this have to be dry, did anyone try yet?? sorry if its a dumb question

It is made to work wet. No problems. You can get a reasonably priced kit at rockler.com it is about 20 bucks and they have stores in Seattle and Tukwila.

I have acrylic as well...just a note-when buffing out scratches, a residue will be released into the water. Small areas, not to big of a deal, larger areas.....take care or turn the skimmer onto "super wet" and add filter socks.

This from when the tank was FW...thank goodness those little buggers (fish) were tough.

Kris

I found a large micromesh brand kit on ebay a few months ago. It was new and was labled as a "commercial aircraft windshield polish kit" Had several sheets of each grit. Got it real cheap. Good stuff

Back