Installing MH's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jlearned

OK my new Metal halides came in today and I am getting ready to throw them into my hood. I have a pair of 175w bulbs with spider reflectors being driven by IcaCap ballasts.

The hood interior is painted white with a coat of exterior primer and a topcoat of exterior white semi gloss enamel. I already have 2 60" T-5 actinics lights installed as well.

Can I mount the reflectors directly to the hood or should I put in some kind of standoff to reduce the amount of heat transfering to the wooden hood?

If I should use a standoff of some sorts what would you recommend using?

-Jason

from what i have seen anyways people just mount it on the hood. accompanied by either vents inside the hood and/ or fans blowing across the water.

All right that is what I am doing. I am also mounting 2 PC case fans on opposite ends of the hood with each one moving 68cfm at a mere 24db (dead silent). Hopefully this will be enough to dissipate much of the heat.

Congratulations on the new lighting. Its Friday night and you have new lights. Can it get any better?

Make sure the fans don't blow directly on the bulbs as it may kill the life of the bulb and also will change the color spectrum. :)

Back