Insurance policy for renters?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

Hi all, I recently called my allstate agent to see if my tank was covered under the rental policy. She said "only if you flood or burn down the other units" we've been renting a condo for a cuple of years. Do any of you have ins. Plans for your tank, in the chance that it might fall through the floor or bust out on you? Thanks, Matt.

Hi all, I recently called my allstate agent to see if my tank was covered under the rental policy. She said "only if you flood or burn down the other units" we've been renting a condo for a cuple of years. Do any of you have ins. Plans for your tank, in the chance that it might fall through the floor or bust out on you? Thanks, Matt.

Farmers has a rider for home owners. Dont know about renters, havent rented for a couple decades.

Don

My Renters Insurance covers any aquarium related equipment loss, but not livestock. Believe it or not, most agents consider "corals" equipment, because they consider it a decoration, instead of livestock. It'll cover, even if other "units" aren't damaged, since we're in a single dwelling home.

I'm a homeowner not a renter, but if anyone knows a nice 'backdoor' trick to end up with some cheap insurance for your livestock/equipment. My agent has it listed under "incedental farming and livestock" Originally I had it for my goats (why I had to insure goats I don't know) but as near as she could tell if I was raising/growing livestock, for a purpose other than buisness than its covered.

at a whopping $40 a year.

as I work for an insurance company I would read your policy as all insurance companies are not the same.... if you need help get me a pdf copy of it i will translate it to you. as agents always state things and may or may not know the correct answer. everyone is human.

90% of the customers do not read there policies until it is too late and the incident already took place. I deal with this every Mon-fri....

I'll see if I can get an online copy. It seems to state (as I recall) equipment and livestock other than normal pets and lists off what 'normal' pets are. I wouldn't go after it if there was a cracked pump, but if a tank fails I might. It's some company out of texas.

You can tell I'm so new to this, didn't even consider that I would need a separate rider.
So glad you guys are here, thanks for the info!!

When I was in college they said "up to 20 gallons and proof of renters insurance". Of course they never asked for proof but the savings from the multiple line discount actually paid for the policy and then some (my renters policy cost $110/year, discount on my auto from the multiple line discount was about $70/6months)

I know Progessive policies, if you have the right coverage, cover if anything happens to any of your property. It's actually a really good company!

Back