Intake mod...save lives!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DisturbedReefer

Lionless :(
I have lost two fish already to my intakes for my closed loop. The closed loop has two 1.5" drains with the standard screens on them, pump is the sequence Barracuda. Tom came up with a great solution for my intakes that I would like to share. We made some boxes out of scrap acrylic and they work great, should disperse the suction enough that I shouldn't end up with fish stuck to the intakes ever again.:) First shot is the original screen, second shows some of the detail of the screen box, then the last is the box installed...looks much better, works much better:D

Awesome! keep us posted on how you like it long term. Might be a good way to help anemones stay away from the intakes as well. Although, anemones can work their way into some odd places.

I am the man :D J/K

it is held in place with suction from the pumps and those 2 pieces that stick down rest on the top of the bulkhead. I am going to build some of these for my display and frag tank now that todd played guinea pig.

big t said:

it is held in place with suction from the pumps and those 2 pieces that stick down rest on the top of the bulkhead. I am going to build some of these for my display and frag tank now that todd played guinea pig.
Hey, I thought you knew what you were doing:lol:
That's alright, I like being the beneficiary guinea pig, 'cause I get the goods first;)

Great Idea!

I think that dispersed screen gaurd is pretty good I hope you don't have a patten on it;) I may be in a copyright infringement:shock:

big t said:

Well I adapted the idea from JasonK who drilled a ton of holes in one of his overlfows to turn it into a closed loop intake

Tom..you amaze me with your work everytime...Always neat and just right. Maybe you can try and work out something for your dog on your avitar! I think, "His daddy ain't his daddy, but his daddy don't know"...Bugs bunny on the prowl(LOL) Great job again and I think you are lucky Todd to be his guinea pig!

looks great, much more attractive and low-profile than the originals. Question, does the cover fall off if you turn off the pump for the closed loop?

looks great, much more attractive and low-profile than the originals. Question, does the cover fall off if you turn off the pump for the closed loop?

Previously posted by BigT...

it is held in place with suction from the pumps and those 2 pieces that stick down rest on the top of the bulkhead

bc slc, probably not or that would suck...

bc_slc said:

I had the closed loop off yesturday for cleaning...worked flawlessley, I am quite pleased with the end result:D

Well I couldn't let todd be the only one in my neighborhood that had a safe and good looking solution to the nasty closed loop intake screens! I have had 2 tangs and a fox face meet their doom on my closed loop intakes so far, and that is enough. On my tank the intakes are inline vertically so I made a long cover that encased both intakes. For some reason I couldn't get Todd to come over and drill all the holes for me :) Anyway here is a pic.

newintake.jpg

Nice Tom! You can hardly see it. Wait until coraline grows over it. And oh, BTW, your tank is still looking great!

I am making one just like yours Tom. It is going to work great. More holes to drill. I accidently put my hand in front of my intake and I thought it was going to pull my fingernails off. Pump is an Ampmaster 7500.

Les

Back