intant ocean alk test kit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

emilsanto

i have a instant ocean test kit for alkalinity, i just dont know how to really figure it out. does any one use one. i have to add 6 drops to get the color change. if i mulitply the drops by 50 for the part per million i get 300ppm/ for geren hardness is 6 drops x 2.5 for 15/ english degrees hardness is 6x 3.5=21. what range should my alk be.
if anyone can help i would be greatful
thanks

Didn't know they made one in their name? Wasn't it called fastest?

Don't bother with general hardness if that's part of the test, you don't need it. With KH/alkalinity, you want a reading somewhere within NSW to some degree which is 1.5-3.0 mEq/l. That translates into 75-150 ppm CaCO3. 1 mEq/l = 50 ppm = 2.8 DKH.

If your reading is correct, 300 ppm is rather high. A little higher is okay but yours is almost double. If you have just recently added a buffer or freshly mixed saltwater I would wait a bit and retest.

What's the pH reading?

Cheers
Steve

I have always tested consistantly around 300ppm with reef crystals salt mix. this is bad? :eek: The "little chart thingy" says 300 is ideal. Que Pasa?

P.S. I use a 5-in-1 test strip (yeah I know, seachem test kit is in the mail)

FasTest it s an Aqaurium Systems test kit, IO is made by Aquairum Systems. AS is now owned by Marineland which too will also be debunked into some new kind of name who know what it will be called or even if IO will have the same name.

Both were part of the United Pet Group controlled by a Boston Investment group. The Boston group sold out to Ray-O-Vac in early 2005, which then was transformed into the Spectrum Group. Spectrum then bought Tetra (the worlds largest tropical fish food maker) and were deciding how to reorganize the whole Pet Group mess. Last Summer Spectrum's( Ray-O-Vac) stock was doing poorly after these acquisitions and a shareholders class action lawsuit was being filed to further complicate their situation. Who know where they are now :confused:

I have always tested consistantly around 300ppm with reef crystals salt mix. this is bad? The "little chart thingy" says 300 is ideal. Que Pasa?

Hey Boomer, I think I figured it out. Let me know if I'm wrong. I have FO so there are no corals converting bicarbonate into acid and carbonate. Since I use RC, which is inteded for reefs and is formulated for a butt load of Alk and a higher pH; there are 2 concequences. One is that my Alk will test mega high because I have nothing consuming my bicarbonate and my pH doesn't drop like everyone elses!

I feel soo smart :cool: Could this be emilsanto's problem too?

Meche

First
I have always tested consistantly around 300ppm with reef crystals salt mix. this is bad?

Testing error. There have been lots of people that have recently tesed RC and it is no where near 300 ppm, more like 200 ppm. The higest tested was 250 ppm. I know SeaChem is in the mail :D

Let me know if I'm wrong. I have FO so there are no corals converting bicarbonate into acid and carbonate

OK, wrong kinda :D :lol: Normal biological processes, exclusive of corals, still use theses. So the Alk and pH will still fall in a FOT. Over feeding a FOT will really cause these to go down.

If emilsanto has a FO tank you may be correct on Alk and pH, if he has a well run/clean FO tank.

i have a 125 with 150pounds of rock. i have a few fish and 2 zoo frags i star polyp and 2 shrooms. my salt is red sea brand i add purple up 2-3 times a week/ i use ro water and use kents ro water treatment. i think maybe i added to much because that when my alk, seemed to go higher. i will lay off the purple up, calcium, ect and do a water change next week to see what happens

Back