interceptor crashed my xenia!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

acrodesiac

:( I just used interceptor for the first time a week ago and I'd have to say I was very successful. Most of my hermits died and that was to be expected but other inverts I was afraid of losing came out unscathed. I did a 25% water change 6 hour after dosing and replaced carbon at almost double my usual dose. I reduced carbon back to normal amounts 48 hours later and dosed lugols at my usual weekly dose. Despite my efforts to bring the system balance back to normal I noticed declining health in my red sea and elongata xenia. I have had only one other xenia crash in my life and to this date I still don't know why. But I have talked with many people who have had that happen. I was wondering if any of you out there have had similar experiences with declining coral health right after using interceptor?

I have dozens of colonies and dosed enough for 760 gallons in a 450 gallon system, ran no carbon and did not do a water change for a few weeks. No sign of stress in any of the Xenia. LPS, or SPS corals which total about 500 frags. Snails were fine but my Peppermint shrimp had to be rescued and moved to another tank after about 24 hours.

I have done this several times with similar results. The only things I dose for these tanks are calcium, magnesium, and buffer.

Regards,
Kevin

I was thinking the double dose of carbon might have been a more siutable explanation but you would think that if done for only a breif period the effects would be minimal. I still think there is a possibility that the cause of the degenterating xenia colonies could be from a chain reaction effect from the interceptor. I have many years experience keeping xenia and know the usual causes for a crash. All of the imortant parameters were kept in check before, during, and after the xenia started showing signs of distress. I'm really sratching my head on this one:confused:

Is it possible that your xenia crashed as a result of stirring up otherwise trapped detritus? Hence, poor water quality? Just some food for thought.

Not to sound snotty but I keep my systems spotless. Weekly 10% waterchange, twice weekly skimmer cleaning, once weekly carbon change, once weekly MH lens cleaning, auto top off, calcium ractor, chiller. Like I said, I'm really scratching my head on this one:confused:

I was thinking the double dose of carbon might have been a more siutable explanation
I would too.

I still think there is a possibility that the cause of the degenterating xenia colonies could be from a chain reaction effect from the interceptor.
It is certainly possible. If that was the case you should be able to add a few colonies in a week or two as the Intercepter is quickly removed. I hope they regow quickly for you.

Iodine in combination with intercepter could also be a factor as it can be quite toxic by itself.

Regards,
Kevin

"Iodine in combination with intercepter could also be a factor as it can be quite toxic by itself." That is one thing I was considering as well:)

Back