Interesting!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

76Frags

So I was fragging some eagle eye zoas yesterday evening, and a group of 5 or so polyps fell off onto a towel that was sitting on the table I was working on. 5-6 hours later I found them dried out, but still pink in color around the center. I threw them back in the tank - and today they are coming back! I've heard that you can ship them wrapped in wet papertowels, but dry?

Needless to say I was pretty amazed that they came back. :eek:

ill get right on that! you're going to send me some purple hornets in water though to make it a fair trade, right?

They ship colonies like that from overseas. Most likely to save on weight costs.

There are very shallow tide pools around the world that zoanthids and paly's call home, during low tide these colonies can be completely airborne for hours on end, while baking in the sun ;)

They ship colonies like that from overseas. Most likely to save on weight costs.

There are very shallow tide pools around the world that zoanthids and paly's call home, during low tide these colonies can be completely airborne for hours on end, while baking in the sun ;)

Ive seen it in Florida a few times. They seem to close up as tight as possible to conserve moisture. Nature is amazing.

Was determined that most rock and many inverts ship best "dry" to prevent ammonia buildup and other water chemistry problems. Snails are almiost always shipped dry. Water gradually grows more polluted in time when sealed in a bag with livestock.

Many times going out looking for cool stuff in tidepools I would see zoanthid colonies completely out of the water when the tide went down and sure enough when the tide came back in they would open back up :)

Many times going out looking for cool stuff in tidepools I would see zoanthid colonies completely out of the water when the tide went down and sure enough when the tide came back in they would open back up :)

Do you know how hard it would be for me to not take some? Haha

Ive seen it in Florida a few times. They seem to close up as tight as possible to conserve moisture. Nature is amazing.

Eddie, where in Florida do you see zoanthids ? I'm in florida, but our area definatley doesn't have them. I know we have them in the keys, and in the miami area. Where did you see yours ?

Do you know how hard it would be for me to not take some? Haha

I had a few wild ones in my tank that did pretty well. I will probably add some to the new tank as well when I get it set up.

Going back on the topic though, I've seen them sit out of water for atleast 2-3 hours easy in the blazing sun and they open back up when the tide comes in. Same thing with some other corals at low tide. These "things" we keep in our tanks can handle alot more than we think :)

Back