Internall overflow box

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have a friend that just cut the hole in the back of his tank and now when
he went to our lfs he didnt have any overflow boxs for sale and said he wasent getting any because the guy who makes them sold his company to someone else and they are in texas so he isnt getting anymore....So now i am looking for my friend to anyone that may have any extra internall overflow boxs or is just trying to get rid of theres or anything please let me know because we really want a externall overflow box and cant start our tank intill we get on i sure would appriciate some help with this...I only ask because reeffrontiers has always came through for me and i hope you guys will back me up on this one thanks alot............

Are you capable of making your own? It shouldn't take much effort. You would just need some materials from a hardware store, a plan, and some good ole' fashion American ingenuity. You could probably make a better (functioning) overflow then could be bought.

What size tank? How much flow do you want to design for? Do you want an internal, external, or over-the-back type?

The simplist approach might be to just install a bulkhead, and make an acrylic box with a few slots on one side.

Use glass instead!

Acrylic does not bond well to glass. I would suggest using inexpensive pieces of glass to create your overflow. Here are some photos that I got off of someone's thread, unfortunately I don't remember from where. I apologize for not being able to give credit where credit is do. This is how I plan on doing mine over the next few weeks.

ResizeofDSC08910.jpg

ResizeofDSC08903.jpg

ResizeofDSC08909.jpg

Also, you can put eggcrate on the top if you want a teeth-like effect.

Hope this helps! Best of luck!

Back