Intestinal Parasite Treatment in a Reef System

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Almondsaz

Is it possible to treat for intestinal parasites in a reef system or does all treatment need to be done in the QT? Don't have any particular issue at the moment, but started to read/research and nothing seems specific as to its reef compatibility. Lee: I read your thread on de-worming marine fish. You mention to feed the Praziquantel, can this be done in the reef or must be done in the QT?

Last edited:
Can anyone provide some advice on the above. I just want to make sure it is ok to use in the reef, a lot of hardwork went into building it and I don't want to see that ruined. Thank you.

Jungle has (or at least used to have) a food supplement with Praziquantel in it, I picked some up @ PetSmart back in the day.

This may work according to Lee if you have get the fish to eat it. Of course the best way to is deworm all fishes in QT prior to putting them in your reef as the dewormer has a risk of killing your other critters in your tank.

Sorry Almondsax, I thought the post had made the answer clear. The use of Praziquantel to treat intestinal parasites is best done by adding it to the food. If this med is added to the food, it is safe to treat the fish in with other fishes.

With regards to other marine life forms, I cannot be certain. If you use the proper quantity in the food, it should not have a negative impact on 'higher life forms' in the aquarium, by which I mean most if not all mobile and non-mobile invertebrates will be safe.

Thanks all....I never add meds (haven't had the need) so I am very cautious. Really appreciate the help!

Back