Iodine question...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TalFish

Hey there,

I'm wondering if Rite-Aid brand Iodine is safe to use as a dip for Zoo's, etc.
This is what the label lists: Active: Povidone-Iodine, 10%(eq to 1% Iodine)
Inactive: citric acid, disodium phospate, glycerin, nonoxynol-9, sodium hydroxide, and purified water.

If it is safe, can it be used at the same rate as Lugol's- 1-2 drops per gallon?

Also, what other corals would benefit for this type of dip?

Thanks, T

Not sure on that one...I've read several articles in the past concerning the use of iodine in the reef, and off the top of my head, it seems the chemical form of the iodine is what determines how toxic or dangerous it is...Iodide and Iodate are considered safe, but molecular iodine isn't...the degree to which I'm also not certain.

IMO, when dealing with something like that, it's better safe than sorry, I'd stick with tried and true brands, like Lugols, ect...perhaps somebody with a bit more knowledge on this will jump in...

MikeS

Thanks MikeS,

After reading the ingredients on the bottle, I was leary too. I just read an article by Stven Pro and he kinda recommends against dipping altogether. I read a thread about the process and formula... I wrote down the formula but I can't remember where I saw the thread! lol

Thanks again, TalFish

p.s. your "Dark Lord of the Sand" goes well with my avatar, LOL

TalFish said:
Thanks MikeS,

After reading the ingredients on the bottle, I was leary too. I just read an article by Stven Pro and he kinda recommends against dipping altogether. I read a thread about the process and formula... I wrote down the formula but I can't remember where I saw the thread! lol

In 5+ years, I've never dipped corals. I dose seachem Iodide into the main tank when I add a new coral or on the rare occasion I have a concern about a particular coral that might be ailing. When I do this, I always test the levels as not to overdose. Some swear by dipping, however. I'm sure others will chime in with their experience/opinions...

TalFish said:
p.s. your "Dark Lord of the Sand" goes well with my avatar, LOL

:lol: thanks...I had a different avatar before mojo Mike decided to vandalize it...:lol: ...but I like the ant farm....:lol: ....my old avatar...

Back