Is a Reeflo Dart too much for a return pump on a 180?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

We bought one from another reefer here a while back thinking we were going to do a closed loop on the new 180 but plans have changed. No closed loop this time. Is this pump suitable to use for a return pump on the system since we already have it? We will be running about 50ish gallons in a 100 gal sump. I see it's rated at just over 3000 gal/hr at 4' head. We will be between 4-5' of head and split into two returns going through two 3/4" seaswirls. Too much? I don't want to start up the old "too much flow through the sump" argument though :D. Am I reading right that you can dial these pumps way back via ball or gate valves and they actually like it and burn less power doing it? Or would we better picking up an Iwaki or similar pump and selling the Reeflo?

Thanks in advance.

Quick answer.... No. You would need atleast a 100G sump and would need to dial back the pump almost half way. I have a 180G using a Gen-X PCX-40 on a 33G sump for return. I use a Reeflo Dart as a CL pump running 1.5" inlet and discharg piping. My CL has 6x 3/4" nozzles that have locline dual nozzles on each 3/4" line. Its enough flow for my SPS.

We are running a 100gal sump. It just wont be full. Thats why i estimated 50 gallons. So restricting the flow on the reeflo isn't a good idea ir is it just way overkill?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I am running a Reeflo dart on a 180 reef with a 50 gallon sump as a return with no problems. It returns through two 3/4 inch PVC and flow is great. Drains are two 1.5". Once shut down there's plenty of room in my sump to allow for back flow. I do have a small hole drilled at water line on returns to allow an air stop. Also running a dart on a closed loop on same tank. So as long as your sump is large enough it should not be an issue. Plus they are super quiet.

Oh also if you ever need to restrict the flow always do it on the out part of th pump. Never restrict on the inlet side. Is yours. Hybrid pump. Mine are the dart / snapper hybrids. What an awesome pump

We will be running two Mega-Flow drains down through the factory drilled holes. I'm not sure what size they are. I guess I should find that info out, huh???

Stock megaflow bulkheads are one inch for the drains and 3/4 for the returns. AFAIK, AGA (Aqueon), and Marineland both use these sizes on all of their tanks unless they are custom ordered differently.

REFERENCE: Maximum Bulkhead Flow Rate
½" ...... 150 GPH
¾" ...... 300 GPH
1" ....... 600 GPH
1¼" .... 900 GPH
1½" .. 1200 GPH
2" ..... 2400 GPH

So two in a stock tank will allow a maximum of 1200GPH if tank drainage. The size of the sump doesnt matter at all in this case. A reeflow dart can be used but is a bit of an overkill. I also have a GenX PCX40 pressure rated at 1200GPH and my overflows are absolutely maxed out to where I choke the pump back a bit just for peice of mind.

I have external reeflo pumps on almost all of my tanks and have never had any problems. By the time you start teeing off with other reactors you will be fine or just put a valve after the pump and dial it to wahtever flow you desire.

Back