is aiptasia really bad?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It will harm other corals it comes in contact with and will spread like bad gossip. Bad enough IMO.

i squirted a lot of lime juice in their little holes and they recessed for a little bit i hope they end up dying...

Instead of lime juice, which isn't very effective and can raise havoc on your pH, use Kalk paste. Make Kalk paste by mixing Pickling Lime with RO water to a toothpaste consistency. Then using a medical dosing syringe (the plastic ones you can get at Walgreens work just fine) squirt this mixture into the mouths of the aiptasia and also coat them. They'll melt before your eyes.

Then make it. It's easy. Pickling Lime can be found at just about any large grocery store or Walmart for under $3.00. It's usually found in the canning area and usually sold as Mother's Pickling Lime. Every reefer should have it on hand anyway as it's also used to make Kalkwasser or Kalk Water, which is used by many as a supplement to maintain Ca and Alk. It's important to test for these elements and keep our tanks balanced in Ca, Alk and Mg.

They really are not that pretty. I have one stubborn one that won't go away... have tried to pull it out, kalk paste, injecting it with kalk water, joe's.. nothing seems to get rid of that one stalk.

Anthony Calfo talks about using them as a filter bed for tanks... Just depends on where they are at and what you want.

Instead of lime juice, which isn't very effective and can raise havoc on your pH, use Kalk paste. Make Kalk paste by mixing Pickling Lime with RO water to a toothpaste consistency. Then using a medical dosing syringe (the plastic ones you can get at Walgreens work just fine) squirt this mixture into the mouths of the aiptasia and also coat them. They'll melt before your eyes.

Doesn't kalkwasser have an effect on the ph also?????

mmn usn, I've read a lot of information about using them for filtration, including what Anthony says. I've always wanted to have a refugium full of them, but as of yet, haven't figured out a way to guarantee they don't spread to the display.

From everything I've read, Kalk paste doesn't have near the effect on immediate pH swings because you're able to use a small amount of it in a paste form. With something like lemon or lime juice, you're pumping a lot of it into your system with not much effect on the aiptasia.

"...their hardiness coupled with their ability to reproduce very quickly and out-compete other species in culture gives these anemones the status of pest from the perspective of coral reef aquarium hobbyists"

I was suprised to find out that aiptasia are sexed male and female. They reproduce by releasing their respective items into the water until they mix and settle to become a new creature. So basically you can have 1 and never get another unless it is produced from the seperation of that one's body.

I used to kill them with an insulin needle and chemicals. If you have a stubborn one, you should use some boiling water and burn the devil out of the head of the aiptasia.

the boiling works did it to 7 of them left to intanks and they are big and beutiful and ad to the reef look.this is true the are asexual and can spread..reserch has proven like any animal that is indeed to survuve its area..will infact do all it can but if left alone will be happy and STAY PUTT...and there is some different species as well i have a maroon one and a skin colored one ...happy and dont spread...kevinpo has them in the sump at store and not in the display ..a big part of that is attributed to the intruduction of the shrip...they will eat the little spores as the try to regrow...happy reefing!

From everything I've read, Kalk paste doesn't have near the effect on immediate pH swings because you're able to use a small amount of it in a paste form. With something like lemon or lime juice, you're pumping a lot of it into your system with not much effect on the aiptasia.

Well, I guess that would all depend on the size of the system. JMHO For what it is worth, I really think you want to be careful with Kalk. Personal experience tells me that I have seen a .1 to .2 raise in Ph in my 80 gallon system just trying to kill about 5 or 6. Like I said though, this is just my personal experience, limited tho as it may be.

Well, your experience is more than mine as the most I've ever treated is 3 at once. I've been lucky enough to never have more than that, or at least be able to find more than that at a time.

Here's another very useful thread about battling aiptasia that sort of addresses the possible pH issues. In it DonW mentions the use of such small amounts of kalk paste not having any ill effect on anything except the aiptasia. One thing I found very interesting is the suggestion to use Muriatic Acid!! Interesting. May have to try that next time I have an issue...which I hope is a ways away.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32377&highlight=aiptasia

Last edited:
mmn usn, I've read a lot of information about using them for filtration, including what Anthony says. I've always wanted to have a refugium full of them, but as of yet, haven't figured out a way to guarantee they don't spread to the display.

Why not try pulsating xenia in your fuge instead of aptasia. Would be a harmless test this way.

Well, I guess that would all depend on the size of the system. JMHO For what it is worth, I really think you want to be careful with Kalk. Personal experience tells me that I have seen a .1 to .2 raise in Ph in my 80 gallon system just trying to kill about 5 or 6. Like I said though, this is just my personal experience, limited tho as it may be.

kalk past should just precip once it hits the sw and should have no real effect on ph. It doesnt dissolve well is sw.

I Like the boiling water method but not for any reason in particular.

Don

To what would I attribute the Ph rise then?

Kalk will spike but it should be localized to the area. Put it this way two tsp of kalk will raise one gallon of plain water to 12. So if you squirt 1/4 tsp in a goodsized tank there is only going to be a localized very temporary bump. Not enough to be an issue. Most of the kalk will never dissolve and will settle in the rock or sand.

Don

what about killing majanos, is boiling water as effective as kalk paste?

Boiling water will kill anything. Its more effective than kalk, only prob is boiling water will kill anything it touches.

Im surprised Joes Juice didnt work... Months ago this topic came up and the solution was getting some peppermint shrimp since they do eat them.

Back