is aiptasia really bad?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmn usn, I've read a lot of information about using them for filtration, including what Anthony says. I've always wanted to have a refugium full of them, but as of yet, haven't figured out a way to guarantee they don't spread to the display.

I've seen a few tanks online that use aiptasia for filtration. They usually incorporte a UV sterilizer with 100% water capture directly downstream from the aiptasia farm.

2007 presented a tough year for me and aiptasia. 11 peppermint shrimp...wrasse food. 12 berghia...disappearing act. Copperband butterfly...died soon after I got it while I was out of town for work (wife forgot to feed the tank while I was gone). Kalk paste injections...temporary solution that can cause spreading if the aiptasia disintegrate and the pieces land elsewhere in the tank.

Yes, aiptasia really are that bad. I started out with a casual few that blossomed to hundreds. Kalk knocks down their numbers, but, as mentioned above, can spread them too. How I long to be back at the point in time that I only had a few. Taking care of a few and taking care of hundreds are two totally different ball games.

Last edited:
so i did the kalk paste is it ok if there are chunk remnants sitting around...not a lot but stilla few little streams

i have quite a large number of them today.... I had a cluster in the top left corrner, on the glass behind the tunze.....

i watched and waited till i desided you scrape them off the glass sucking them out as i did a water change...

they didnt look so tuff laying on the drive way... noob nem's hahaha

i think a real important part is no matter what method your useing to get em (ither boilingwater, or kalk, joes use) you shouldnt try to get em all at once.... figure a few at a time, for safety

ive bin meaning to try and got my hands on a syringe for pin point boiling water dalivery
but its harder then i thought 2 get one....

ive bin meaning to try and got my hands on a syringe for pin point boiling water dalivery
but its harder then i thought 2 get one....

I had to beg the pharmacist last time I needed a needle. She wasn't going to give it to me without a prescription (I don't know if this was a company policy or a law). I had to tell her a long story about what I was going to use it for before she caved.
Maybe print out a thread and bring it with you? That approach has helped people get the tabs to treat red bugs.

I had to beg the pharmacist last time I needed a needle. She wasn't going to give it to me without a prescription (I don't know if this was a company policy or a law). I had to tell her a long story about what I was going to use it for before she caved.
Maybe print out a thread and bring it with you? That approach has helped people get the tabs to treat red bugs.

Farm supply places will sell them to anybody.

Don

found em on ebay.... with needles..... that would hold boiling water right?

i think i will give ebay a try... but im worry of brass and copper..

i must make sure i get the right one...

Last edited:
you could do the kalk method and use the plastic syringe that babies use...thats what i did

found em on ebay.... with needles..... that would hold boiling water right?

i think i will give ebay a try... but im worry of brass and copper..

i must make sure i get the right one...

Yeah if you want 2nd degree burns on your fingers:). If you are going to use boiling water I would go with a turkey baster or one of those syringes without needle they use for babies and livestock. The needle is more for directly inserting chemicals into the animal.

The needle is sharp and you'll go straight through the stalk and out the other side if you arent careful. Being as uncoordinated as I am, I always stab them straight through the mouth.

Good Luck

yeah definitely get the syringes without needles. They come in lots of test kits, or you can get them at most pharmacies. I'd be scared to use a turkey baster because the hot water can escape out the tip and possibly burn something you don't want it to.

ya i picked up the baby syringe yesterday at safeway for 2.50 in the vitamin area ;)

burns.... i dont burn...

but as far as the needle's go... i got 3 off ebay last night for 6 bucks... comeing from Russia or Poland... where eve (far away) 14.99 for 3 with shiping...

all new vintange stainless, no copper no brass, and the other 2 are glass...

the needles will be for delivering 200degree water in very small amounts directly to the mouth... i except dead in 1-2 seconds. with Ro water... theres no damage, just wait a little do it again,

thats my logic... Im sure you guys will know if it fails....

Hey Guys I have some comments on a new product Kevinpo gave me last Sunday to test on my infestation. Not even sure if it is for sale yet. It's from Red Sea and is called Aiptasia-X, Aiptasia Eliminator Kit. Comes with a bottle of liquid a 2.5 ml syringe and two large bore needle extensions, one straight and one curved.
Product literature talks about the difficulty in killing these things because they release their planula (spores) once they sense danger. I have tried boiling water but found it almost impossible to get them all and avoid collateral damage. This product "is a unique composition of natural components, formed into a thick, adhesive mixture that globulates on contact with the aquarium water It is easily injected near to the oral disk of the anemone and stimulates the anemone to injest the material without causing it to withdraw into its hole. The adhesive globule effectively seals the anemone's oral disk and mouth, preventing the release of its planulas. Within minutes of injesting the Aiptasia-X the anemone will implode, eradicating both the anemone and planulas."

All I can say is "WOW"! This stuff worked as advertised. 2 hours ago I had a massive infestation I have been fighting for about 2 years. Must have killed 50 to 60 of these things as easy as you please. There is nothing left of them, disintegrated, gone!
So I will be calling Kevin tomorrow with my product eval. Don't know how much this stuff will cost but it is worth whatever they ask for it IMO.

Would be interesting to know the chemical make up of it. Otherwise, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable using it in a reef tank. There's so many things on the market that are said to be reef safe...but aren't. Until then, I'll stick to Kalk Paste. Works great for me, although there are some who it isn't as successful with. I've never had a bad outbreak though.

Interesting, but I agree that I'd want to know the ingredient list. Did you notice anything else? Like, did your skimmer produce a lot of bubbles afterwards or did your ph and/or alk change in your tank as a result of using this?

Just used the product last night for the first time. Saw a few I missed and will have to get those taken care of. Product is guaranteed reef safe and says it has no effect on water chemistry. Didn't mention last night that all water movement has to be stopped during treatment and for 15 minutes following. Leaves a congealed slurry at first that has already filtered away. Measured no abnormal changes in alkalinity or calcium levels and noted no change in skimmer output either. As far as I can tell there have been no adverse reactions so far and the treated aiptasia are gone!
And I have to add I trust Kevinpo not to steer me wrong.

I'll buy that. In fact, I already did (tonight). Plus I tried nuking with kalk paste one more time and I don't ever want to do that again. Getting bits on neighboring corals and all that...errgghh. Me no likey.

In reference to needles and syringes. I've been using both for years with great luck. Kalk paste is the the only thing I use. I'm convinced Joes juice is a combo of Kalk and something else to make it more runny and a higher price tag.

Don W is correct, any place that sells Hay and Feed will have a large selection of syringes without needles, and slip on needles for the syringes in all sizes.

The trick that has been sucessful for me is:

-Turn of all pumps and wait for a couple minutes for the current to stop.

-Using a 60cc (the big ones) syringe and a #20 or #18 slip on needle that is 1.5inches log, put a teaspoon of kalk powder in the syringe. Draw a little bit of sea water into it and shake it up. Keep it thick, but test it outside of the tank to make sure it is runny enough to control when administering it.

-Stick the needle in the mouth of the aptasia and dose the kalk, keep dosing and pushing the needle in after it as pulls back into its hole. After it has retracted into its hole cover up the hole with kalk like your topping a cupcake with a pastery bag.

- Kalk will come out and globs will fall in the surrounding areas.

-Using a second clean 60cc syringe[no needle] suck out the small amounts of fallen kalk in the surrounding areas. Unlike a turkey baster the syringe gives amazing control all without releasing it. Eject into a bucket and go in for more.

-After getting all the "fallen" kalk I go back and clean off the extra kalk on top of the hole so it won't blow around.

Side note---
If you get really good with the syringe[no needle] you can attach a piece of hard air line tubing to the end and snag any remaining kalk that you missed in mid-stream once the pumps are turned back on.

This has been a 100% reliable method for me

Ps: Syringes at the Feed store range from .89cents to $2.25 and there standard comment when you buy them is "Ah, do you have a sick horse?":D

I am passionated about this method, and have had no ill results when practiced like described.

Sorry for the novel :)
Chad

Back