Is buying corals online a safe investment?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Depends on guarntees, If the have a Arrive alive Guarantee, then your good, I have ordered numerous for corals and fish, No problems, Just be sure ask them if they cold pack in summer and heat pack in winter. If they do then your pretty safe. Most LFS's recieve thier stock Via post and internet. So it can not be that bad. But larger corals ( Pretty Big) Go to lfs and buy then you know what you get.

I have bought from several online vendors and ebay with no problems. I just make sure I buy enough pieces to make the shipping worth while.

BEWARE of "The Reef Spot" on Ebay!!!!!! they sent the wrong stuff to me..i talked to them a few times before i bought corals..after i sent an email saying the order was wrong, they wouldn't return any reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i sent alot of emails and they just ignored them i guess!!!

BEWARE of "The Reef Spot" on Ebay!!!!!! they sent the wrong stuff to me..i talked to them a few times before i bought corals..after i sent an email saying the order was wrong, they wouldn't return any reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i sent alot of emails and they just ignored them i guess!!!

Thats great info thanks.That is why I am unshure of buying online. Do you have any good experiences you can share maybe a link or two.
Scott:)

I do it all the time.
Make sure you pick it up yourself at the fedex facility. Do not allow it to get on the truck.
In the shipping address.
Your Name HOLD FOR PICKUP
Address of your fed ex facility.

Nothing against the drivers but my corals are not number one priority for them. To me they are.
I use www.vividaquariums.com and www.reeftopia.com

Avoid aquacon and I have had bad luck with saltwaterfishdotcom others have had good success with swfdotcom just not me.

Are you in Vancouver, Wa or Vancouver, Ca? You might have trouble getting people to ship there. Anytime something goes from the US to Canada it runs the risk of getting "stuck" in customs. Techincally they can hold on to your live shipment for as long as they want and theres nothing your shipping company can do about it. I think If I lived in Canada I would have it shipped somewhere south of the border(like a friends house or hold for pick up) and drive down and back.

Yes I get my "best" stuff shipped in. LFS lacks the selection I like. I stick with WYSIWYG sites.

Can't say for sure but the only time that I have every made a live purchase online was 2 weeks ago through ebay. I bought 4 frags and with DHL shipping from Oregon 2 of the 4 made it past the warm back up phase once they made it into the house. They were overnight but must have sat outside for some time at the depot as the box was cold off the truck despite the good packing and heat pack which was cold. I managed to save 1 of the 4 and I was not to impressed with the vendor either but different story. The priority it to get the package there overnight but in what condition?

On a drygoods shipment of an acrylic tank UPS destroyed for me as well and then the vendor has to battle to get the insurance money out as well. What a mess that can be!!!!!!

Live shipping = drop kick to your door = like putting "hit me signs on your pets" - save your money and trade with local members and support the sponsors too. The live shipping guarantee is really what???? Plus you can use that $20-40 bucks to get another nice piece or whatever.

You also get the added benefit of meeting friends and sharing a laugh.

It kind of sucks if you are in some far away places though. HTH

Reeftank1, did you order from the same place i bought from a few weeks ago???did you take it up with paypal or the vendor??? i got everything in good condition from them...i tried a new place last week and they sent the wrong stuff....they won't reply to any emails that i send now!!!!

There are alot of good reputable people out there to buy frags online from.
In the area I live in (Texas) its hard to find a lfs that carries aquacultured frags, everything is wild. The one lfs in my area was carring nothing but ORA stuff but decided there just wasn't enough demand to keep stuff in stock.

If you want I can pm you with several vendors that come highly recommended

Ron,

Negative. I used reefcorals.com via ebay. I think the product is okay for the most part as advertised but very small frags. I don't want to steal the thread or bash but in general I will stick to my local folks and skip on the online for live stuff .Their corals are guaranteed to the door???? If you are not satisfied you need to take a photo and send it, describing the acclimation process that you used, then make a call, etc. If you open the bag you own it. I think the bottom line is that the frags looked fair but with the chill it was a matter of time until I was sure they were expired. To no avail I am out the $85 bucks. I thought that because it was just up the road it should be easy!!!! I have probably 50 different corals and have only had a problem once in a long while so 3 of 4 is a pretty crappy outcome. I know there are lots of frags that do make it but I will leave that up to someone else(experts). I have a limit on what I can dump on a frag and like Mike said.......

Also, great tip if you can pick it up at the holding facility.

Another thought is that there are some great trades that cost nothing and really help everyone without the cost.

aqua man, your from b.c. have you ever tried jlaquatics, i had a friend order from them all the way to guelph, ontario with no problems, he ordered mushrooms and a finger coral, just make sure you order enough to make it worth the price of shipping

different places around the country are different, but there are several great online places with coral frags and to me it's best to try a place that shows the exact frag you are ordering. I try to order enough to make shipping worth packing. Make sure the vendor has enough experience in shipping that they know to use enough heat packs as it is cold right now. Usually on the website they will tell you exactly what they do for shipping, like double or triple bagging, heat packs/cold packs and styrofoam box...

There are alot of good reputable people out there to buy frags online from.
In the area I live in (Texas) its hard to find a lfs that carries aquacultured frags, everything is wild. The one lfs in my area was carring nothing but ORA stuff but decided there just wasn't enough demand to keep stuff in stock.

If you want I can pm you with several vendors that come highly recommended

yes please:)

Back