Is city water bad for my reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

King_Neptune

Skimmer Skuzz
I might be moving my reef to my sisters place in span-away in the fall. Just wanted to plan ahead on how Ill be doing my water making. I am worried about the change in water source. Currently I get my water from our private well...so it doesn't get tampered with via the public water works. Its extremely pure. As pristine as it is, I often take it straight from the tap worry free. But since I'm potentially switching to Spanaway's water supply I'd like to know how to best go about it all. I think my biggest concern is chlorine and fluorine. Isn't that added to public drinking water?

The water in Spanaway runs about 24ppm so it isn't horrible. I however still run everything through a RODI machine.

Go RODI you never know what is in the city water, the PPM could sky rocket and you would never know untill its too late. I also have to wonder what effects floride have on reef aquariums. (floride is in most city water)

I have gotten water from Aquarium Paradise a couple times and had not one problem.

+ 1 ^ You would be well advised to save your pennies and get an RO/di. There are some good ones out there for around $100.

I have seen and had people use water from there....I kinda place it in the same category as buying marine life from petco just to save them....sure you saved teh fish, but you also perpetuated the source of harm in the first place.

Anybody know about the water in Seattle? Specifically Montlake. I recently moved form Bellingham where I used tap water with no issues and now am skeptical to try the city water. In the mean time i'm using store bought water and it seems to be causing an algae break out.

+ 1 ^ You would be well advised to save your pennies and get an RO/di. There are some good ones out there for around $100.
Any recommendations for one around that price. I only use maybe 10 gallons of water a month between top off and mixing, don't really want to spend more than that. It would take years for it to pay off. I have done some searching and can't seem to find one for around $100 most of them range from $150-$200.

....I cannot in good conscience recommend above mentioned shops...

Ive heard some pretty nasty stories about that place. And I personally have had my own bad experiences, several times. They don't get my business except under the most extreme circumstances, I literally have to have nobody else to go to for something before I give them my money.

And for those that misunderstood. I have an RODI unit already. Its a bulk ref supply deluxe. Love it! I was just saying the water is so pure from my well, I sometimes get it straight from the hose if Im short on RO water. AS for Spanaway being 24tds....Ive tested it in the past and never seen below 170 on my meter(usually in the 230-250 range). I hate city water for drinking. And since Ive never used it for corals, is an RODI enough? Or do I need choline tablets ect?

And 10g, look at bulk reef supply RODI units, they might have one in your range. But honestly just spend an extra $70 and get the deluxe unit. Can also make you some fantastic drinking water. I myself keep jugs of pure fresh water in the fridge at all times. Often Ill put a jug in the living room on the coffee table just so I can always have a drink of water. I LOVE drinking water.

I am further south near 224th and I am drawing 24 PPM from the tap as of last week. Technically I am in Graham, but I believe Myteemouse pulls similar number up by 512.

I run just straight RODI and everything in my tank is thriving including my SPS so I think it is sufficient. I tested my water and it was text book across the board as of yesterday. You will go through a pre filter a month it seems like.

I may have been a bit low on my $ amount. Google RO Water Filters. There are many places to get them. Also try CL. I'm sure you can find one for close to that $

Back