is it better to have.....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Random flow is always better than linear flow. When you say 1/2 the flow, how much are you talking about? What size tank? You still want to keep a good quantity of flow but IMO, random is always better than linear. Keep in mind that you can create random flow without cutting your flow in half. Aiming a couple powerheads in a way that the flow bounces off the glass, or that their flow collides with each other will "randomize" the flow somewhat. You can also put something like a Hydor Flo unit on a powerhead to create more random flow. The Hydor Flo cuts down on GPH a little but not near by 50%. If you're talking about a return pump, simply splitting the current into 2 returns will help create random flow, without cutting back on GPH much. Also, using a SQWD to create alternating flow is helpful. SQWD does cut back on GPH but again, not by 50%.

okay so i have a 10 gallon with a maxijet 1200, I decided to put a t- split on it so the flow goes two opposite directions but its half as stonf, would this be better than having i direct flow fromt he maxijet?

Well, in a 10 gallon, 1/2 the flow of a mj1200 is still almost 15X turn over in your tank. That's not bad at all. If they're flexible Ts, you could even have a little more choices in where you wanted them aimed. Would it be possible to replace the 1 MJ1200 with 2 MJ900s or even the next ones down actually?

You know, if you wanted to do some customizing...and aren't real fond of your lone MJ1200, you can cut the nozzle off of it real close to the body. That will create a wider flow coming out of it. I just recently did this on one of mine and was pretty impressed with the difference it made. That would still only leave you one line of flow though...but a much wider flow area.

Picture a fir tree at the coast. In the wind from the west, it strips the branches, puts Tremendous stress on the windward side, corals are no different. Just another way of saying the same thing. Splitting is good. A 2nd powerhead on timer is even better :)

Back