Is it possible to have too much Flow?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefJeff

Hello Everyone,

I have a 50 gallon reef (36x18x18") and I currently am running 3 powerheads for water flow (not including the flow from my AquaClear 70 HOb filter and protein skimmer). I am trying out a wet/dry filter but I belive the water flow is possibly to strong for the tank. The pump is a Rio 1700 which was reccommended for the wet/dry, but can to much flow cause the soft corals and fish to stress out? I will try and put a control fitting on the pump to see if I can regulate the flow down some, but that might effect the pump itself.

Just looking for some info as to water flow.

Thanks,

Hello ReefJeff :)
Direct flow can and will stress the corals. Indirect (bouncing the flow off the walls) would be much better.
If your looking to dial the pump back then you want to make sure you do this on the outgoing side of the pump and not the incoming side. Back pressure is ok and will put little strain on the motor, but interfering with the motors draw can cause it to burn out.
Fish will love a lot of flow. I have had fish that would just swim in front of the flow of a powerhead all day swimming. Great exercise :)
Corals like indirect flow just as they get in the ocean. A good indirect flow will keep them clean and also bring there food source to them.
As for the wet/dry filtration, this is good for fish only or better yet freshwater systems but not a reef setting. Wet/dry filters tend to build up nitrates from all the detritus that gets caught up in the balls or rock.
Your going to want to start slowly removing these balls or rock, and let the sand bed and rock scape be the biological filtration. You can use this new sump space for carbon and other things like a good in sump skimmer.
Lot of flow is not a bad thing, it's all in how you apply it.
I hope this helps you some. Frank. :)

To much flow directed right at a coral may stress it out. As far as the fish are concerned no. You dont have near as much flow as the ocean. Many people run tanks with 100 or many times more per hour turn over.

Don

Thanks for the information. I do have it bouncing of the front glass. The return side has a value on it, but not sure if that will directly slow the flow, its a new setup and I have not experimented with it though.

Hi Frank, as far as the wet/dry, since it does have the bioballs, I was wondering if I could replace that with just sponges and use that or is it better to just eliminate the wet/dry and stick with the HOb and skimmer?

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I do have it bouncing of the front glass. The return side has a value on it, but not sure if that will directly slow the flow, its a new setup and I have not experimented with it though.

Hi Frank, as far as the wet/dry, since it does have the bioballs, I was wondering if I could replace that with just sponges and use that or is it better to just eliminate the wet/dry and stick with the HOb and skimmer?

First I'd do a little research on the nitrogen cycle. Understanding this will help eliminate the waste of your hard earned dollars on equipment that does not work or will cause problems.
Second circulation through the sump is mandated by need of the equipment in the sump and has little if anything to do with display flow. Adjust your return pump to suit your skimmer and other equipment. Display flow is then handled by powerheads or closed loops.

Don

First I'd do a little research on the nitrogen cycle. Understanding this will help eliminate the waste of your hard earned dollars on equipment that does not work or will cause problems.
Second circulation through the sump is mandated by need of the equipment in the sump and has little if anything to do with display flow. Adjust your return pump to suit your skimmer and other equipment. Display flow is then handled by power heads or closed loops.

Don

Thanks Don for information too.

Well, I guess filtration for a reef is a very interesting topic for sure. Not sure if a wet/dry for my reef is needed then? I run freshwater discus on strictly Fluval 405 and AquaClear HOB filters so I would not need a wet/dry for that as it would serve no purpose because of the frequent water changes.

I am glad this was given to me and I did not have to purchase it.

I was wondering though, I have about 15 lbs of live sand and wondered if I could use that in the sump of this wet/dry instead of the bio balls?

I hate to waste the use of this unit.

Thanks Don for information too.

Well, I guess filtration for a reef is a very interesting topic for sure. Not sure if a wet/dry for my reef is needed then? I run freshwater discus on strictly Fluval 405 and AquaClear HOB filters so I would not need a wet/dry for that as it would serve no purpose because of the frequent water changes.

Not really, thats why I suggest exploring the nitrogen cycle. You dont use a wet dry because they are heavily oxygenated. The oxygen does not provide a environment for denitrifying bacteria thus will create excess nitrates.

Don

Not really, thats why I suggest exploring the nitrogen cycle. You dont use a wet dry because they are heavily oxygenated. The oxygen does not provide a environment for denitrifying bacteria thus will create excess nitrates.

Don

Thanks Don. I checked the nitrates last evening and they were at 0. I will check them when I get home from work today. is anything above 0 bad?

Whats funny though here in Illinois anyway. I see so many people selling various size aquariums with wet/dry units for their reef. But after reading many posts here on RF, I see the topic of filtration for reefs a lot. maybe for my small 50 gallon I will stick with the fiters I am currently using.

Thanks Don. I checked the nitrates last evening and they were at 0. I will check them when I get home from work today. is anything above 0 bad?

Whats funny though here in Illinois anyway. I see so many people selling various size aquariums with wet/dry units for their reef. But after reading many posts here on RF, I see the topic of filtration for reefs a lot. maybe for my small 50 gallon I will stick with the fiters I am currently using.

You want 0 nitrates. Size doesn't matter its all about the science of how it works. Understand the science and its a very simple hobby. Dont learn the science and you will struggle.

Don

Back