Is my anemone dead??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcdonaldjosh7

Coral!!!!
Is this anemone dead or dying? If it is still alive, how long would you think it had?

Or is the anemone fine?

1018101653.jpg

If it isn't fine but is still alive I think I should be selling it soon...I was pressured into buying it and I don't think my t-12 lighting is intense enough for it.

hmmmm the mouth of an anemones should be tight not gaping open. I cannot really tell from the photo but is the base of the feet tan? usually a healthy anemone will have brown base. I'm assuming this is a Green bubble tip anemone . Try feeding it some silversides to supplement its lack of light.

Also, is it possible to take my Icecap 660 ballast that is powering the t-12s and use them for t-5s? Will this be sufficient lighting for it? Right now I have 440 watts of VHO t-12 lighting, is this that cause? Low lighting?

Could I get 440 watts of t-5 lighting w/ a higher par with the same ballast?

hmmmm the mouth of an anemones should be tight not gaping open. I cannot really tell from the photo but is the base of the feet tan? usually a healthy anemone will have brown base. I'm assuming this is a Green bubble tip anemone . Try feeding it some silversides to supplement its lack of light.

I will do that. Would that make up for it, or would it just be a temporary thing while I get the new lights?

Im quite positive you are able to convert the icecap660 from t12- t5. Unfortunately i was never good the the electrical aspect of reefing.

about your lighting i will have to ask a few questions. Did you buy it like that? Or did the color of the anemone fade when you put in your tank. DO you know what type it is?

I had 4 T12's on an IceCap 660. I converted it over to IceCap's retro 4 T5's on that same 660 with no probs, and it was really esay to do. Just download their electrical diagram from their websit. I also added 2 more T5's on an IceCap 430 (I think it was) for a total of 6 T5's. I have 4 nems 3 RBTA and 1 GBTA and all have been doing great.

I had 4 T12's on an IceCap 660. I converted it over to IceCap's retro 4 T5's on that same 660 with no probs, and it was really esay to do. Just download their electrical diagram from their websit. I also added 2 more T5's on an IceCap 430 (I think it was) for a total of 6 T5's. I have 4 nems 3 RBTA and 1 GBTA and all have been doing great.

In that case I am going to turn the t-12s into t-5s, and hope that the lighting is the issue, and not the water quality.

If it isn't fine but is still alive I think I should be selling it soon...I was pressured into buying it and I don't think my t-12 lighting is intense enough for it.

How were you pressured into buying it? Also how old are the vho bulbs? Those should be sufficient enough if not old. The icecap 660's are absolutely able to be used with t5's. Up to 4 bulbs. I keep lots of bubble tips most under t5, that one is definitely lacking light, but I have no doubt with the given light and supplemented feeding it would come back. Also good flow will help.

How were you pressured into buying it? Also how old are the vho bulbs? Those should be sufficient enough if not old. The icecap 660's are absolutely able to be used with t5's. Up to 4 bulbs. I keep lots of bubble tips most under t5, that one is definitely lacking light, but I have no doubt with the given light and supplemented feeding it would come back. Also good flow will help.

Well it didn't come without a sufficient want on my end either :lol:

I am not sure of the age, though I just bought them from someone.

Wandered a little on the first day though not since then. As far as I can tell the foot is attached, is there a way I can find out without stressing it out too much?

Yeah it would be floating if the foot wasn't attached. No need to look. Change to the T5's asap and you'll be fine. Like was already mentioned try feeding it some small food at first (roughly half the size of the mouth) once every other day or so. A lot of mine hate silversides, so I change it up with different meaty foods.

ok. maybe I Am "old school", but if your t12's are in fact 4' 110w VHO's you should have plenty of light. If the bulbs are really old they should STILL be throwing a lot of light.

If they are other than that, let us know.

ok. maybe I Am "old school", but if your t12's are in fact 4' 110w VHO's you should have plenty of light. If the bulbs are really old they should STILL be throwing a lot of light.

If they are other than that, let us know.

Nope thats the lights. 4 48" 110w VHO t-12s.

See I thought it would be enough light also. But the anemone is showing signs as if it isn't getting the light (stretching out, etc). I hope it isnt the water quality...Ill test the water tomorrow.

The nice thing about changing the lights in general, is now I'm able to have SPS's at the top of the tank. I was never able to keep them with the T12's. It was very easy to change them out, I only wish that I bought a complete light set up instead of having to retro fit it into my hood. Maybe one with with halides and T5's.

The nice thing about changing the lights in general, is now I'm able to have SPS's at the top of the tank. I was never able to keep them with the T12's. It was very easy to change them out, I only wish that I bought a complete light set up instead of having to retro fit it into my hood. Maybe one with with halides and T5's.

Well I am building myself a better hood...the one I have right now is crap. I plan on seeing if I can find a MH ballast for it, and I am definitely going to leave room for the MH with the t-5's, so that I can install MH in later.

Back