Is my Blue Throat Trigger Sick?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DogglesPuffer

Hey you guys....well Happy New Year to you all seeing as I haven't really posted anything since my DFP died. I actually need a little help with the main tank ASAP. In our tank right now we have four damsels, two sailfin tangs, and a purple tang...and some cleaner shrimp (four) and assorted hermit crabs. Four days ago, we added five chromis, a blue throat trigger, a foxfaced rabbitfish and an angelfish which I'm not sure of the name. So the trigger hid in the rocks until today when he came out to the front of the rocks and he is just laying on the sand upright and his fins are slightly moving but his tail fin is curled inward....is this normal? Is he sick or stressed? What are the social habits of this fish? Please help, he's beautiful and we don't want to lose him. Also, our Chromis are disappearing...the first day we had 5, the third day we had 3 and today there are 2 left? Is there anything in the tank that could be eating them? Thanks in advance for your help ....

So you even after the loss you still don't QT? Normally triggers won't lay on the sand ever, so it sounds like he is super sick or stressed out (more than likely both). I would suggest reading through most of Lee Birch's stickies, and there should be more than enough information to try to help you out.

-augustus

Man there are little shots taken on this board all the time.

Sorry if I came across in a rude way..reading back, I realize that I could have said that better. But what I meant was, until Lee replies or somebody else that has an idea besides putting it into another tank to treat, those threads should point you in the right direction both now and on future occasions.

Thanks, and again sorry for the dialect of the first post.

-augustus

Man there are little shots taken on this board all the time.

Quite the contrary, this is the first mostly friendly board I have EVER frequented. I would also look to your own post as to purpose. Bal has raised these fish for many years and I consider him to be an authority on triggers. Be that as it may, he was trying to point out an important obvious. QT new fish.
Regards,
Mike

Um....ok....thanks for the advice I was thinkin maybe he was stressed out at the new environment. Thanks augustus for the advice- the fish were in a quarantine tank for about two months which is something we started doing since we lost so many of them in December. Maybe I should have mentioned that in my first post. Since I posted, the Trigger is kind of up and around but still a little lethargic....hiding in the rocks and occaisionally peeking out....anyhow let me just say that this is an awesome board and I'm certainly glad to be here..... :)

Didnt say this wasnt a friendly Board by any means. This is a great Site. But this hobby is not Black and White. Not everyone follows the same rules of thumb. Not everyone Qts not saying this is right. But it all comes down to what your comfortable with. Ive worked with both of you and have never had any problems. The point of my post is that some Criticism is better left to a pm if given.
Thanks
Scott

I've had some triggers that stayed swimming constantly and some that wedged themselves in rocks all day. I've never had one that layed in the sand though. That to me definately seems like the fish is very stressed or sick. How does his color look? Hopefully not to pale. If its breathing looks ok he may just be getting use to the new home, if he's breathing fast or getting pale, thats a very bad sign. At this point now if he has any disease or parasites its most likely in the water column, so i'd leave him be and see if he can work it out.

Chromis just do that, its normal that you start to see the school dwindle.

I had a Niger that dug himself a 'pit' under a large piece of rock and he would lay down in it, sometimes for hours... never saw one that would just lay down in the open sandbed, though...

I may not have noticed, but what size aquarium/system do you have? I don't recommend adding fish to a system more than one fish every 6 weeks. Too much too soon is not a good idea. Slow down and be patient.

The Trigger is not doing well. It may adjust, but depending upon the shock that has been put on the system, it may or may not recover. Yes. It is very much stressed. But they are usually tolerant fishes. Do frequent and large water changes daily for the next three days, would be my recommendation.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. :) The Trigger is looking a little better, though he is still hiding alot...when I can spot him among the rocks his colour looks normal and his breathing appears to be normal also. Our setup right now is a 300 Gal reef tank with an external sump filter....my fiance and his fish guy are the ones adding the fishes, but I will definitely try to put in my two cents about putting in too many fish at one time. I really hope the Trigger recovers :( Will try my best and do all the water changes perscribed :) I will post some pics of the tank soon also....and will try to get the Trigger in some of the shots...

Oh and Luke...he's still looking very bright and beautiful...not pale at all :)

Back