Is sea salt created equally?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MAGDRL Mom

Critters
Anthony, I originally started this thread with a poll on HRRC (Hampton Roads Reef Club) as information gathering for putting together data to present to LFS with the ultimate goal of forming a buyers co-op. Since salt is something that is used constantly by the retailers and consumers, I figured this would be a good place to start in a bulk buy to present to wholesalers in a bid for pricing.

What type of salt do you use for your marine aquarium(s)?
Instant Ocean [ 14 ] ** [66.67%]
Reef Crystals [ 6 ] ** [28.57%]
Marinemix [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Tropic Marin [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
"Crystal Sea [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Deep Ocean [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Red Sea [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Coralife [ 1 ] ** [4.76%]
Kent Sea Salt [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Marine Environment (2 part) [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]

When buying salt, what is most important to you?
Price [ 3 ] ** [14.29%]
Quality [ 14 ] ** [66.67%]
Ease of use [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Availability [ 1 ] ** [4.76%]
Other [ 3 ] ** [14.29%]

When buying salt do you ....
buy only what you need at the time? [ 3 ] ** [14.29%]
buy a larger quantity to get a better price? [ 12 ] ** [57.14%]
wish you could buy in even larger quantity to get an even better price? [ 6 ] ** [28.57%]
Total Votes: 21

One of our club members came across this disturbing article...

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/...ature/index.php

"...One disturbing section from the article (after testing was performed) reads:

"These data are unequivocal and quite disturbing. They show that water mixed from some artificial salt water mixes is significantly more toxic to developing sea urchin embryos, and by inference to other organisms, than is the water made from salts sold by other manufacturers. It would be more acceptable, I think, if all salts were equally toxic. That would mean that no manufacturer had figured out how to make a decent salt mix, and if that were the case, then hobbyists would just have to learn to live with it. Or rather they would learn which species of potential reef aquarium animals were more tolerant of such abuse and could survive in it. However, that is not the situation. The situation is that waters made from some salts tested are much less harsh and have significantly better sea urchin larval survival than do others. At least the water samples with poor larval survival still have some survival, but by comparison with the number of embryos growing in the water from the other salts, the mortality of sea urchin embryos in water made from Instant Ocean is about 90%, and in water made from Coralife salt the mortality rate is about 80%. Animal response to toxins is a biological function, and is distributed with a "normal" statistical distribution, so the larvae seen in the waters made from these two salts are the hardiest of the hardy survivors. It highly likely that mortality effects are not limited to larvae and are much more widespread through the reef aquarium hobby. There is no particular reason to assume that reef aquaria are particularly more benign than natural areas where similar bioassays, and other tests such as chemical analyses, have shown other toxic materials to be present..."

What are your thoughts on this?

I have come to the conclusion that reefing is a lot like medicine, it is not an exact science and I have been in the medical field long enough to know that tests and trials performed in controlled environments aren't always the best reference. BUT..there has to be a point of reference. Based on my own personal (limited) experience, I have chosen you for the reef and chemistry and Kelly Jedlicki for the fish.:razz:

Sherry,

First, and most importantly… WELCOME TO REEF FRONTIERS!!! :D :D :D

Myself being relatively new in the Reef Keeping world (especially when compared to the experience level of people such as Anthony), my thoughts about the various Salt products available to us don't really "hold water", but may be a good starting point for Anthony to help educate us all along with your post... so here are my thoughts:

The Artificial Salts we use in our hobby are an attempt at allowing us to have a part of the beauty and wonders of the sea in our homes, at a "reasonable" price.

That "reasonable" price part of my statement I believe is where the impurities and differences in Salt come into play.

Companies are producing a product to make a profit. They do as good as a job in producing that product as they can, with their cost in mind... along with projected profit margins figured in.

CAN someone make a Salt that would emulate what Mother Nature has come up with? Ohhhh YES, they easily can! Would that product be sooo cost prohibitive that their sales margins would never come close to making the production of that salt a viable business option? That is where I see the problem.

To use the purest mix of chemicals, in the exactly correct percentage... then to match a particular area of the worlds ocean water with that mix... then having to have 500 (probably an exaggeration by me here) different exact mixes, so people can pick and choose which "piece of the ocean" their salt is mixing up to be comparable with... just isn't something a business can afford to do.

So, what do they do for our hobby? They get the best price they can on the various chemicals... realizing those chemicals may not be "pure"... but close. Then, they shoot to mix those chemicals to an "ocean average"... so one mix will fit several needs, yet not matching any "piece of the ocean" perfectly. This they sell to us at as close to a “reasonable price” as they can… keeping our interest in the hobby, thus continuing their sales.

It isn't a perfect fix for the hobby... however as long as we understand this, and use what they (the salt manufacturers) can provide us cost effectively, as a starting point for our tanks and learn how to adjust what is needed for our particular application... that allows us to continue in this beautiful hobby.

Again, Welcome to Reef Frontiers! I’m looking forward to reading more of your comments and inputs!!! :D :D

BTW.....when they advertise that their salt has trace elements, those are really impurities in the materials that they make their salt out of.

I, as a habit, rarely post on salt threads. (It's a long story....don't ask).

I will say what I've been saying for years (and this is copied from Mojoreef). They all have issues....pick your poison.

I have also been saying this for years.....

After you mix your saltwater and make sure it matches your SG and temperature, ALSO make sure that your Ca, alkalinity, and pH are in line BEFORE doing a water change and not afterwards.

I agree... it does largely come down to picking your poison.

Furthermore... many salts are mfg'ed at the same plant and packaged under different names.

FWIW... my biased (though experienced) opinion is that Instant Ocean is a best bet for consistency if not value, and Tropic Marine is the best salt if price is not an option. I am also using Seachems salt and will do so for a while before I make any definitive comments. But the history of this company is stellar for QC, R&D and really quite professional behavior in the industry at all levels. I expect their salt to do/be very well.

Back