Is temp. important

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

J-dub

Is is better to have a constant temp in the tank or can it fluctuate a couple of degrees during the day?

You can have your temp change alittle during the day. In the winter I am more concerned with how low the temp gets because I kept the house cool. In summer just the opposite.

so if the tank is a little cooler in the morning (76) then warms up during the day when the lights have been on for a while (79) thats normal and dosen't hurt the fish/corals?

3 degrees could be boderline- not good. Try to keep the swing to two degrees or less. If you're running a tank heater, bump it up a degree and see if the swing is less. If not a small fan running while the lights are on may help. Jenn-coo-ya.

They say it is better to have a constant temp of say 83F than to have big swings. So with that said, you'd want to try and keep your swings as minimal as possible. 2 degrees is a good number to work with as already suggested eventhough I've had worse by accident:oops:

well when I went to sleep it was at 79.7 and when I woke up this morning it was 78.4. So I don't know if it is a fluke but I'll take it. If it stays like this no problem right? I'll keep an eye on it. I turned the fan that blows over the top of my tank off last night so I think that is what helped, maybe I need a timer for it. So many timers already.....................that's it reefKeeper II.:badgrin:

Me too! It looked good this morning also so we'll see what happens.Thanks for the info.

i shoot for 80.1 to 80.4 no more no less

it stays right there, if i keep the room between 72- and 68

all also add that i have t5's as well

Last edited:
79.4-79.9 with T-5 lighting and a 300w heater.

I only had a small problem in the summer. My tank is in a well sun-lit room with no A/C. It would get up to about 82.5 or so and then back down to 78 or so at night. I didn't notice any problems with the fish (no corals at the time).

77.2 at night, 78.4 during the day, summer and winter are the same because I speed up the fan in the summer. If I put my fan on a timer, it would shut off at night, and the temperature would always stay the same. However, I'm willing to deal with it for the sake of increased evaporation. I also run 300w of MH lighting without any heating issues.

However, as mentioned, constant temperature is better. It looks like you may have whipped it already.

Agian it was 78.2 this morning and 79.8 last night with my lights on. But my fan is key, if I forget to turn it on my tank will over heat (82.8 it has happened:( ) and if I don't turn it off it will go down to like 74. I just pluged in 2 400 watt halides about 2-3 weeks ago and thats why I am having this problem. (It was fine if I would have left it alone) Anyways, I'm boarderline of needing a chiller but I don't have that much money now. I still have to build my hood then I think this is where I'll have my problem.

Do you guys think that with some fans built in the hood I would be able to get away with not having a chiller?

As it is my lights are hanging over the tank with a fan blowing over it and seems to work fine exept my den looks like a tanning salon!

Thanks for all the input and happy holidays:D

Agian it was 78.2 this morning and 79.8 last night with my lights on. But my fan is key, if I forget to turn it on my tank will over heat (82.8 it has happened:( ) and if I don't turn it off it will go down to like 74. I just pluged in 2 400 watt halides about 2-3 weeks ago and thats why I am having this problem. (It was fine if I would have left it alone) Anyways, I'm boarderline of needing a chiller but I don't have that much money now. I still have to build my hood then I think this is where I'll have my problem.

Do you guys think that with some fans built in the hood I would be able to get away with not having a chiller?

As it is my lights are hanging over the tank with a fan blowing over it and seems to work fine exept my den looks like a tanning salon!

Thanks for all the input and happy holidays:D

Oviously a chiller and temp controller is the best way to go. I'm sure we can come up with a cheap way to control your fans and heaters. What type of heater are you using? Are your fans 110vac or 12vdc.

Don

Oviously a chiller and temp controller is the best way to go. I'm sure we can come up with a cheap way to control your fans and heaters. What type of heater are you using? Are your fans 110vac or 12vdc.

Don
My fans are really up in the air I need to buy some to incorerate into my hood. I'm not sure as far as volume what fans to use. But right now I have one 9" hosehold fan sitting on the shelf next to my tank. My heater is a EBO-Jagger 250watt model TS. What does a temp controller do, have your fan kick on and off according to tank temp?

I use a fan on my aquapod that will keep my tank pretty constant (only a 2 degree swing) IF no-one fools around with the ac thermostat. I have my fan on a timer that lets it run for so many hours and then shuts off for so many etc all around the clock. It took a few days to figure out the spacing I needed, but it works (ie until my wife wants the room cooler or warmer than usual and adjusts the air condition). My best bet in a case like this would be a chiller/heater to keep things constant, but regardless, it is proven I can keep the temp stable with just the fan if no-one screws with the air. Also, they make fans (ice cap I believe) that has temp sensors that speed up the fan according to the temp. That may be an option as well:)

Back