is there a Mod for a quieter NW-150

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OCDreefer

Is it possible to make a mod to the Venturi to quiet this skimmer down. It's pretty loud. I have gotten used to it by my girlfriend hates it. I will admit that I turn it off to watch movies.

Thats so funny here i thought i was being bad when i shut down my tank during a movie. Wew its not just me.

if you have an old prescription bottle or some other smaller container you can build a silencer for the venturi. Just put a hole in either end, insert the tube into one end and go almost to the other end of the "tube". Use another piece of equal size tubing and insert it into the other end of the "tube". They will overlap almost the full length of the tube.

I'll see if I can get a pic of mine. Makes a BIG difference on my DNW 200

here's a couple of pics to give you an idea. I think this was a specimen container from a doctors office, but almost any similar container will work.

Yes! It is a pretty easy mod and you can make it out of almost any cylinder with top and bottom (pill bottle, pvc w/ acrylic, tupperware...). Here is a rough drawing of how it works, and you can look at the ATI BM air silencer where they added filter floss like material to dampen the sound even more.

airsilencer.jpg

BubbleMaster200.jpg

Hope this helps,

-augustus

Thanks for the help! Bad news is that it has a 'silencer' already on there (the one that came with the skimmer) I am however going to try to build my own as this thing is still loud and hardly cuts the noise down at all.

The question is is the noise from the air line, or from the pump itself. A larger silencer will help a lot of the noise is from the airline, but if it is the pump itself, it will not make any difference.

Now with that said, do you have the skimmer/pump on some type of a soft mount? Something like a neoprene mouse pad, or a silicone baking pan? Sometimes that will make a big difference in the noise as well.

Kim

Kim hit it square on the head. I was going to ask the same question. You should hear noticeable difference with the "muffler" for the venturi noise.

The noise is from the airline. The muffler that came with this skimmer might not cut it. I took it off and yes its louder without it but not by a lot..... going to make my own and see how much quieter it can be.

Back