• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Is there a Tropic Marin Pro Reef Group Buy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Soon, I hope, Jonathan. I love taking the ferry. :) I bet it's nice over there when the leaves start to change.

So how many buckets did you need to make a group buy anyway?

Me and Laura need a bucket soon like, and might be able to spring for two. I see you were considering cancleing the group buy, but you didn't say "it is cancled" so I may as well ask ;)

Hey Cy,
I know there are a lot of posts on the boards on best salt choice, but I am still somewhat unsure as to the best one for the typical reef tank like mine. What are your thoughts on selecting a salt for my elos system where I will be dosing 2 part warner marine? (you can pm me)

I bought some Reef Crystals from you, but I was thinking of switching to Tropic Marine Pro at some point and I know there are new salts out there now.

Let me know and I will come buy it from you (group buy or not)

One thought on the price thing...sometimes we are so worried about getting the absolute best price that we get caught up in the "shopping" part of it (me included). When in fact it usually only amounts to a few bucks. Personally, my time is worth more than that and I have realized that it is easier to drive down and pick up a bucket of salt. We think nothing of tipping a waiter 15-20% for good service.... It's kind of like those guys on the freeway that drive really fast and still only get to their destination about 2 minutes before us.

I have bought several things online, but I also remember that a local fish store has saved my butt more than once... when a heater goes out, a tank cracks, a powerhead goes out, or some other tank emergency comes along. (Tell me how you can purchase a new powerhead and get it modded for you as you wait anywhere else) We need to support local fish stores, especially those that specialize in reef aquariums like Barrier. If they aren't around, then you are left with Petco type support.

Sorry to Rant a little...but thanks for all you have done to help me Cy, Tim, and the guys at Barrier (you too Mark). We are all good people on here, but we may sway with the breeze on which products or our choices sometimes and you have supported us well.

thanks

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I wasn't trying to point fingers, only trying to offer my perspective and say thanks to the guys at Barrier. Re-reading my post it sounds kind of condescending and I didn't mean it that way. (I paused before hitting send too)

I didn't find it offensive and thanks for the kind words:) I can't honestly say one salt is the best. We are still trying to find time to test and try out our new Tunze Salt. I've switched the display/frag and Elos to D-D H2Ocean Pro+ and really like the results. Tropic Marin and Tropic Marin Pro are both great. Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals have always been good but I/O seems to be all over the place recently which is why we have been branching out. I also have customers who swear by Seachem but dealing with the alkalinity testing adjustment is a pain IMO. I don't have spec sheets for all these salts, and I'm sure there is variation from batch to batch, so a suggestion is purely based on what we have seen here. As of this minute, today, I personally would use the D-D or one of the Tropic Marin products. As soon as we "play" with the Tunze I might have a different opinion.

As for the group buy question, it was called off. If we fall in love with the Tunze salt I probably won't bring in Tropic Marin. If it leaves us wanting, I may explore Tropic Marin again.

Back