Is there any way to encourage a symbiotic relationship between my shrimp and Goby?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
Is there any way to encourage a symbiotic relationship between my shrimp and Goby?

I have a pistol shrimp which I have seen only twice over the last 6 months and a Watchman Goby. They appear to have burrows close to each other, but are not doing the symbiotic stuff. Do you think if I disturb both of their burrows that maybe they will get together and build one? Any other ideas to encourage thier partnership?

thanks,

If the shrimp has a "cave," chances are, they shrimp dug it. I would say they probably already have a relationship. From what I know, without that relationship, the shrimp won't survive very long. I would think that if they're homes are "close," they're probably actually connected and you just can't see it.

I've never heard of this. What kind of realtionship do they have? Anyone have a good link or two that I can read up on this?

Pistol Shrimp and certain Gobies, generally known as "Shrimp Gobies," have a symbiotic relationship that benefits them both. Pistol Shrimp are blind, so stay in physical contact with the Gobies. As Pistol shrimp dig, they dig up food for both the shrimp and goby. They also dig tunnels and caves, which provide homes for the gobies.
3318447216_ce58a80619_b.jpg

sid have u found any trouble feeding them? i just got mine yesterday but i havent seen it since i put pair in. Should i just throw more food in hopes they come out and eat or just give them some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNmCazkXJWQ

Do you have anything that might be considered a threat? Wrasse or somthing that is always scouring for food? Mine have been sussessful but my first experience came to a tragic end when the wrasse ripped the tiger shrimp right out of his hole he could not be saved he was tattered by the wrasse. The wrass met his demise shortly later the nature of his feeding paterns forced him into eating a bristle worm which intern ate him from the inside out.

The shrimp stirs up the sand and finds food while doing it, The goby has the advantage of sight and therefore also gets fed in the process. btw all my tunnels are connected under the live rock, I can see it from the bottom of the tank. normally no special efforts are needed to feed them.

I don't know if the pistol will die if no relationship takes place. I've got 2 pistols and 2 shrimp gobies. The 2 gobies hang out together with the tiger pistol and the candy cane is on the other side of the tank. He's been fine for over a month now.

Travis, when I put in the second shrimp and goby, since the first set didn't pair, I had a little sit down with the both of them. I told the goby that the shrimp was a good guy who just happens to like to share a room. At first he was a little suspect, but I think he's grown to enjoy the company.

I'd have to agree with Sid, the 2 tunnels are probably connected.

Blind?

Im not sure the shrimp are blind, or at least not all of them. There was a recent article I read in a aquarium magazine I get that said most are not blind. They are relatively poor-sighted but that some crustacean experts suggest that the shrimp actually see fairly well.
It does go on about how they both benefit from each other, talks about the gobies tail flicks, what it means. One flick is is a warning of impending danger but if it gives a serices of flicks the shrimp will dive into the hole.

I read somewhere else, that the shrimp can be fine without the gobie, you just wont see it out much.
Not sure on that, I think it was on wetweb.

I don't know if the pistol will die if no relationship takes place. I've got 2 pistols and 2 shrimp gobies. The 2 gobies hang out together with the tiger pistol and the candy cane is on the other side of the tank. He's been fine for over a month now.

Travis, when I put in the second shrimp and goby, since the first set didn't pair, I had a little sit down with the both of them. I told the goby that the shrimp was a good guy who just happens to like to share a room. At first he was a little suspect, but I think he's grown to enjoy the company.

I'd have to agree with Sid, the 2 tunnels are probably connected.

lol, I have had a similar talk with my Goby and shrimp but to no avail. If they do have a realtionship, they are definetly keeping it in the closest. I hadn't even suspected that they might already have a relationship. I will try to encourage them to come out into the open.

Back