Is there anything that eats featherdusters?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

We have an over-abundance of featherdusters. They are growing everywhere and really starting to become an eyesore. We have a skimmer that is working. We are not over feeding. Yet these things are multiplying like crazy. I have heard some angles will eat them but they will also eat our zoo's and paly's. Anyone know what we can do to reduce the quantity?

DSC_0002_9619.jpg

I actually think they're kinda cool. There is a good chance that over time you won't have to do anything about them. They may just thin out as your tank ages. I've heard some wrasses will eat them.

Thank everyone. Is it any wrasse? We don't really want a 6 line as we have heard they can be temperamental. What about a Leopard Wrasse, Flasher or Melanurus Wrasse?

since they are filter feeders, they are breeding like that because there is something to eat. If anything they are helping your tank.

They do look a little ugly once you get an army though

026-6.jpg

I think they spwn faster than my leopard can eat them... Sooner or later I will catch the Xmas one and get him in the tank.

Trust me. If I could remove them I would definitely give some away. The biggest quantity is on the bottom though and not easily reachable. If anyone knows how to harvest some of these and wants some PM me and I will see what can be done.

Put your feather dusters in your sump and let them multiply in there! You will thank yourself later!

any copperbanded butterfly will usally eat them like crazy plus it may also eat some aptasia.. I have the dusters in my sump

I have a six line, and havn't noticed him eating them at all. I would just leave them as they are, or maybe put something in front of them if you think they are an eye sore.

any copperbanded butterfly will usally eat them like crazy plus it may also eat some aptasia.. I have the dusters in my sump

Don't the cbb's eat zoa's, paly's and some LPS too though? We have acans, candy canes, frogspawn, elegance and torch corals as well as quite a few varieties of zoa's that we would rather not see eaten.

Don't the cbb's eat zoa's, paly's and some LPS too though? We have acans, candy canes, frogspawn, elegance and torch corals as well as quite a few varieties of zoa's that we would rather not see eaten.

sometimes. I got one to clean up aiptasia and the thing won't eat anything but the feather duster i had and mysis :doubt:

Almost any fish "can" eat corals if they decide it tastes good. Every fish is different, and it's up to the owner to asume the risk if they think it's worth it.

My CBB loves my feather duster and clams on the half shell lol. Doesn't touch anything else and I have alot of the same corals you listed.

Back