Is this a good brand of salt mix.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I found some of this salt for sale and wanted to know if its any good. The brand is Ocean Pure Synthetic Sea Salt. Please let me know, thanks.

I wanted to try the Ocean Pure Synthetic salt. Where did you buy it?

I head Eric Borneman did a study on Salt this year. I hope we all can keep our eyes and ears pealed to see his results in coral growth.
I am betting that Tropic Marin did pretty good.

I found this salt for sale on craigslist, i dont think its good because of how little it costs. They are selling a 25 pound bucket of that salt for 5 dollars. Really cheap, also marinedepot sells 50gallons worth of salt for ten dollars.

i have never tried that salt billaweed. do you always use it?

yeah.. I've used it since I started my tank.. I was thinking about switching to IO salt because I see a lot of people here use it. The thing I like about Oceanic Salt Mix is that it has a good amount of trace minerals, calcium, strontium, etc.. and I'm unsure as to what IO salt has in it.

Is There really a "better" salt out there? If so which one cause thats the one i want to use.. :cool:

Is There really a "better" salt out there? If so which one cause thats the one i want to use.. :cool:

IO sure is better than Oceanic unless they made some big changes. I think most of us tried it when it first came out a few years back. It was sort of a flop.

Don

IO sure is better than Oceanic unless they made some big changes. I think most of us tried it when it first came out a few years back. It was sort of a flop.

Don

I wish i would have read the to links given on page one about the study. Looks like IO is the dominate salt. How would I go about changing salts? Just start using the new stuff in my water changes untill the Oceanic depletes itself?

I wish i would have read the to links given on page one about the study. Looks like IO is the dominate salt. How would I go about changing salts? Just start using the new stuff in my water changes untill the Oceanic depletes itself?

Whats your ca, alk and mg? This info would help. The Oceanic used to be crazy high in ca and mg.

Don

I dont have an Alk or Mg test, but my calciums been around the 450-480 range. I was told it should be around the 420 range. Before it was at like 520, but only because I added C-Balance to it when I didnt need it.. ;)

What can I say.. Im a newb. lol

Currently my Ca is at 450

Back