Is this Algae cause for concern?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ichthys

So my Live rock started off pretty clean except for the nice desireable purple coraline. After a week in the tank the rock seems to be getting a dark green almost fuzzy look to it. The Coraline seems to be less vibrant than it was. Lighting and water parameters are all good, i Have enclosed before and after pics so you can see the difference, and a close up of the algae or whatever it is.

Can anyone tell me if there is cause for concern, or is this a normal cycling phase of the rock. Keep in mind that the rock came from an establised 5 year old tank and was only out of water for 2 hours.

Looks like normal cycling algae to me. 2 hours is totally enough time for beneficial bacteria to die off, brown green phases here you come!

My boyfriend and I set up a temporary tank with rock from an existing tank that was out of water no more than 5 minutes and it went through all of the nasty algae phases still.

I'm still new to reefing but the same thing happened to my LR. Must be part of cycling.
There's a lot of experienced folks on here that will probably give you a better answer.

Back