Is this an anenome?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

They can be harmful, in that they have a pretty strong sting and can damage your prettier corals. And of course they grow like weeds. Other than stinging other corals, they are not bad for your tank, just consider them weeds just like in your garden, if you don't keep them under control they will take over.

Kim

AND I don't find them astheticly(sp) pleasing. Actually I think they are ugly.
But that is just me.

Deb,

You don't think they are pretty? You have very strange tastes, I remember when they were the nicest things I had growing in my tank. :)

Kim

I recently saw a tank that was COMPLETELY taken over by aptasia. I had never seen anything like it before. If someone had described it to me, I would not have believed them. Every square inch was covered by the biggest aptasia I have ever seen. It was an incredible sight, and I actually thought it looked cool (as long as you don't try to keep other critters in there).

I recently saw a tank that was COMPLETELY taken over by aptasia. I had never seen anything like it before. If someone had described it to me, I would not have believed them. Every square inch was covered by the biggest aptasia I have ever seen. It was an incredible sight, and I actually thought it looked cool (as long as you don't try to keep other critters in there).

To bad you didn't get a picture! An aptasia biotope would be rather scary and interesting at the same time.

Chris

Actually I can get a picture, but I promised not to post it on here. Maybe someday, if the owner has a change of heart :)

Can they be harmful in any way to the tank or are they simply just an annoyance?

They pack more punch in the way of stinging nematocysts than most coral, so they can harm corals they brush up against. And since they are not stationary, but move around, and occasionally detach and float around as well, they can do some damage. The amount depends on the specific coral, size of aptaisia, and amount of contact.

*edit* Um, ok, I guess that was already answered, I think I missed the second page of this thread for some reason.

Last edited:
Aiptasia - I had looked at many examples, and they didn't IMO look the same. I'll now look into how to eliminate, your suggestion is appreciated.

That is Aptasia at a young state. I have used boiling water and a syrenge. Inject the boiling water into the whole thing and poof.. its gone. mine havent come back..

Back