Is this enough rock.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

I sold all My Old Fiji rock and bought all new stuff. THis stuff is light and full of holes. 78 lbs of this takes up the same space 125 lbs of the old did. I still need to aquascape it better but you get the idea.
What do you think.

Picture047Medium.jpg

Picture046Medium.jpg

Picture045Medium.jpg

Picture044Medium.jpg

What size tank is it? Looks good to me. They say a good number to go on is 1-2lbs per gallon, but I guess that depends on what kind of set up you are aiming for and what grade of rock it is. Where you said that it is light and full of holes means (if I can remember correctly) that it will be very efficient for biological filtration and denitrification given you have proper flow. I guess you'd better wait on some more input from some of the other memebers as I am just learning myself. Hope I helped a bit.

Looks good. I'd just make sure you use those odd shapes to create lots of tunnels for flow under the rock. If you intend to keep any clams make sure you plan for them now.

Don

Kirsh
Its a 90 gal tank. The rock is about half the weight of a piece of Fiji the same size.
Don
I still need to aquascape it alot more. Hope to add about 2-3 clams somewhere down the road. Im making small trays for them. So rock will be built around them.

MINIATUS
Any help would be appreciated.

Just didnt want you to forget, and remember the Dursa's get big quick so leave some floor space. For me the clams are the coolest part of my tank, they are a cool substrate.

Don

DonW said:
Just didnt want you to forget, and remember the Dursa's get big quick so leave some floor space. For me the clams are the coolest part of my tank, they are a cool substrate.

Don

How big you talkin and over what span of time.

MINIATUS :D

I got the Dursa at about 3" and in 1 1/2 years he's about 7 or 8" and wide, thats the shell does not include mantle. He's still growing and I dont know how big he's going to get. The maxima, squamosia sp? have grown slower but still over 6". Of course the croceas dont get very big, one I got at 3" he's only about 3.5" and the other about 4" and he's now about 5".

Don

Cool...You've got a 90 gal like me! You are a step ahead though. I see you got Tunze!!! I almost ordered one today to replace my Seio's, but I figured (from the help of a few fellow reefers) it is better to have 2 ph's producing 1600 gph of flow from different directions than 1600 coming from just one. Hmmmm...Then that would make you 2 steps ahead of me because you got 2 Tunze :cry: I live in the Bahamas though so BLAAAA!!!! We're even...or maybe I'm a few steps ahead :shock:

Well they say its better in the Bahamas. LOL.

Don
Is they any clams that are easier to care for than others.

MINIATUS said:
Well they say its better in the Bahamas. LOL.

Don
Is they any clams that are easier to care for than others.

I think as long as you have the correct lighting and you start with them at about 3" they are all easy. :)

Don

Back