Is this flukes?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

robojet

I posted this in the continuing saga of trying to save my clownfish... Probably should have started separate post for different issue... My problems started with this tang, which was doing much better and eating... then these things appeared... I say appeared, because I did not notice them before... is it flukes?

Interesting
Looks like it was scraping on something.
By the way that fish for some reason doesn’t look right. It looks undernourished or something. Funny shape to it. I guess I should read your post about the clown but if I had to guess it looks like the in between stages of ich after the spots fall off. But I could be wrong.

This tang wasn't expected to live past 5 days ago... so it is SUPER SKINNY because it wasn't eating... it is eating now... It is currently being treated for Ich (about 7 days now). I'm just trying to figure out if it has flukes also... these spots are new observations.

This is the fish that caused the Ich outbreak... it was the first to start being treated. And the Ich has pretty much cleared up (for now).

Last edited:
What are you treating the fish with for Ich? Hypo or Copper?

PraziPro is relatively safe for all fish, so it definitely wouldn't hurt to treat the fish, even it's its just prophylactically..

I know this is an old post, but I had a Kole Tang that had flukes. Looked fine at the LFS but when I got it home for a day or two is started to look like it was bruising on its bottom side. Along with the bruising appearance on its stomach area it looked as though someone took a pen and made weird little scribble marks on its side. It wasn't eating for almost 2 or 3 days before I decided to treat it.

I proceeded with a freshwater dip. In about 5 of the 10 minutes the Kole was submerged I noticed that parts of the "scribble" marks on its side started to blister along with its stomach and gills area. I continued to monitor it for stress and watched at about the 5-6 minute time frame the blisters literally grew form a small bump to a large object that looked like a sesame seed from a hamburger bun. There were multiple objects that had fallen off my Kole. I removed it after I couldn't see anymore blistering and placed it in a 5 Gallon bucket with some Paragard for an hour... then on to another 5 gallon bucket with melafix to prevent any secondary infections.

Luckily it has been almost a month now and he is eating like crazy. The darkening has gone away and the scribbles eventually regained the natural coloring and are fading. Nothing new to report with him.

I did see an Orange Shoulder Tang from the same LFS that had the same problem. I offered $10 for it since he looked in worse shape then the kole originally did. Although I gave it a 15% chance of surviving I tried the same method and had the same results. I ended up introducing it into my 100G tank before I went to bed and found him dead the next morning. I had a feeling he wouldn't make it with 4 other tangs and with the fast paced breathing he was having.

So there is my input on flukes.

Back