Is this fully submersible?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Monkey

I was given a heater not to long ago and am not quite sure if it is a fully submersible heater. It is a Marineland Dual Temp 300w. I noticed near the top of the heater body it has a line and says "water line" so my initial guess is no but I wanted to see if anybody knew for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes..

http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/con_dualtemp.asp

Here you go Jeff:).

I think the concern is that the heater is unplugged before in the water and unpluged before water is below the water line. If heater is on and water is below the line, there is a very good chance glass will break from heat.
I have been taught to let heater sit in water before turning it on for twenty minutes. Then turning temperature dial down before turning on heater or plugging it in. Looking at your temperture of tank, then adjusting control knob on heater until light flickers, then off at desired temperture.
I hope this helps.:)

Last edited:
Although they are, usually that water line is a minimum depth but I like to keep the top section above the water line because over time they usually fail at that point.

No bad Ed your correct, for the most part but maybe reword this one part like..

I think the concern is that the heater is unplugged before in the water and unpluged before water is below the water line. If heater is on and water is below the line, there is a very good chance glass will break from heat.

They want you to have it in water at least up to the line and sit like you said before plugging in, otherwise they could shatter or break depending on materials used to make them. Then If you need to remove it, you turn the dial down to turn the unit off & then let it cool while in water, also this prevents a possible shock or damage to the unit because of the arc they can make If it was on when you unplugged it

Thanks guys, I knew about letting it sit in the water for 20 minutes or so before turning it on, I just didn't know if this particular model was submirsible. I will just do as you suggest though and keep the top portion of it above the water level.

Back