Is this my zoanthid predator?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OK, I will adjust it up a bit right now (gotta love web controlled tanks :) )

Chiller isn't on, even at 75. I guess my house is cold.

I just turn the chiller on for maybe 1-2 weeks during the hottest times of the summer, besides that, it isn't on.

I will raise it now by a half degree, then again this weekend

When i read your first post i automatically thought Amphipod right from the start. They can be predatory and are known to eat Zoas. I have battled predatory Amphipods in multiple tanks and literally watched them get onto previously health frags and decimate them over night. They wrap themselves around the zoa and chomp at the skirts like corn on a cob causing the zoas to close up. If they are hungry they won't hesitate. I tested my theory multiple times by placing the zoas on frag racks where they can't be reached and they recovered fine. Here is an example of what they can do in a span of a week. There was an overpopulation of Amphipods in our frogfish tank and our only solution was to freshwater drip all the rocks. Killed at least 500 full size 1 cm amphipods.

006.jpg

122.jpg

You can read through this thread on nano-reef for more information.
HUGE amphipods killing my zoas - Nano-Reef.com Forums

Last edited:
I'm hoping that isn't the case. I had a frag up high on a frag rack and that didn't help. Pretty sure it is the rabbitfish in this case and the pods I saw were oppertunist, eating the damaged zoas. Anyway, they are opening back up slowly. I will keep an eye on them.

There were a lot of large amphipods around though. Look too big for my mandarin to eat. Maybe I will put in another CBS or something

coral banded. Was just reading things about what could help control giant amphipods and coral banded shrimp was listed.
Many of the fish predators sleep at night then these guys are out, so need something nocturnal.

Anyway, probably not needed as I don't think amphipods are the issue. They were just munching on damaged tissue

Just to update this thread. All my gobstoppers are open and growing back to their original giant size. Rabbitfish was sold on classifieds soon after it appeared that he was the culprit.

Looking healthy and appear to be fully recovered. Thanks again!

Just to update this thread. All my gobstoppers are open and growing back to their original giant size. Rabbitfish was sold on classifieds soon after it appeared that he was the culprit.

Looking healthy and appear to be fully recovered. Thanks again!
My pleasure. As House used to say, "when you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras."

Guydude guessed it correct, they are COLLONISTA SNAILS, aka, Mini-Tuirbo, Collonista amakusaensis

COLLONISTA SNAILS
Collonista snails - Google Search.

Common Name: Mini Turbo
Classification: Gastropod in the superfamily Trochoidea, several common species listed below as links
Basics: Harmless grazing herbivore that looks like a baby "Turbo Grazer" snail (often mistaken as such), mostly nocturnal, reproduces readily.
Distinguishing characteristics: Pit in the very center of the operculum (trap door in the opening of a snail)
Color: Highly variable, some all one color, others combinations of white, brown, tan, even pink
Size: Reportedly up to 1/4", but most are about 3mm and less.
Habitat: Everywhere - glass, rocks, plastic, substrate, you name it.
Diet: Film algae
Reproduction: Broadcast spawners that reproduce readily in captivity. In most cases, this method means the young have very little chance of survival in home aquaria. However, in this case, they likely go through a very short planktonic/pelagic stage, so their chances are greatly improved.
Compatibility: Peaceful, reef-safe
Words of Caution: Sometimes they can cause problems with plumbing intakes and such if there are too many. I've had these little guys for years though, and never had any issues.

Thanks boomer! Nice id.

Fishyfishy, he is id'ing the pic I originally posted at the start of this thread. A pic of a small snail I found near my damaged zoanthids that I though might be the culprit before you fingered the rabbitfish

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Back