is this product safe for marine tanks?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've never seen that before. I wonder what it is. What are your water parameters? Perhaps we can come up with a better plan for you.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

*moved to the chemistry forum*

I took a closer look at the photo, and it is for freshwater. What are all your aquarium parameters, not just your pH? It might help to take a look at the chemistry of your system.

Here is an article to get you started: Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley

7.9 is fine

Don't forget ph is better left alone.Always check it at the same time of day,usually when the lights have been on for a few hours.Seachem makes a safe product called marine buffer8.3 it will not raise ph above that even if acidentally overdosed

jojo

Yes, it is safe to use, It is just water and 10-20 % sodium carbonate, the same as baked baking soda or soda ash (washing soda or double strength baking soda). However, such products should not be used to raise the pH up unless the ALk is also low or it is only fish tank.

eco

Seachem makes a safe product called marine buffer8.3

Thins stuff should never be used in a reef tank it is for FOT and contains crap loads of borate. Even SeaChem will tell you not mto use it. Using this stuff in a reef tank will cause problems in trying to keep Alk, Mg++ and Ca++ in balance. This stuff will also skew your Alk reading.

thanks for the replys guys. i almost bought that sea chem stuff but i think ill leave it alone now. so 7.9 is an ok ph? maybe i shouldnt try screwing with it then.

Boomer is our chem dude! I have meant to refer chem questions to you but got you mixed up with Curt (also bright.) Will try to remember whos who:oops:

thanks for the replys guys. i almost bought that sea chem stuff but i think ill leave it alone now. so 7.9 is an ok ph? maybe i shouldnt try screwing with it then.

What time in your photoperiod are you testing your pH? What are your water parameters besides pH?

Back