is this the right playsand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mountaindew

can someone tell me if this is the right sand to put into the aquarium.Its made by old castle namebrand kolorscape and it says small amount of silica

Last edited:
It looks like it says on the package, "do not use for Hardsape projects, aquariums, or traction" :D

I'd go for the stuff that they say can be used for aquariums so you don't risk anything. Check w/ your local fish store or can get one on any of the online stores.

Test it with the vinegar test. That is the same stuff I used in my 29 gallon and have had no problems....

The whole thing about saying NOT safe for aquariums is part of a contractual agreement in most cases. The same company that packages sand for pet stores, also packages sand for other uses. So as not to undercut the HIGH prices of pet stores, they're forced to put NOT aquarium safe on the packaging so that it won't cut into pet store sales. It's the same thing with Silicon...100% silocon is 100% silicon, no matter what name brand is on the tube. Some tubes say 100% silicon and also say not aquarium safe. It's all part of a contractual agreement. As long as the sand you're looking at is mainly aragonite based, you'll be just fine. If it's totally silicate based...stay away from it. Manufacturers are required to put silicate on the label if it has any silicates, since silicates are poisonous to people and a lot of the sands are used for children's sand boxes.

Even silica sand is fine. Its inert and wont to anything to your tank's chemistry. And yes, I've used it.

Its funny I go to home depot and buy tubes of 100% silicone and my girlfriend always says I have to buy the fancy one that says for aquariums its all the same as for the play sand just go for the arrgonite based and you will be all good

Some tubes say 100% silicon and also say not aquarium safe. It's all part of a contractual agreement.

Actually when they say not aquarium safe it isn't contractual but rather the added mildew chemicals that isn't aquarium safe:D but other than that it is the same. As far as silica many people use is & as stated above had no real problems, I prefer the arrogant bases sand because of the texture & looks whiter.

I would also run a magnet over the sand and see if you pick up any metals. If you do, toss it and go get some pure aragonite :)

I have about 2000lbs of argonite sitting in my garage. If anyone close needs any let me know.
Mountaindew: If it did not foam when you added vinegar I would not use it.

If vinegar doesn't make it sizzle and foam, it's not aragonite. The main reasons I've found for using aragonite instead of the silicate based is twofold. Aragonite helps buffer the PH and keep it stable. Also, the silicate based sand tends to be an algae magnet!!! I made the mistake of using it in a smaller tank and found that I had a major algae problem in the sand. When I switched over to aragonite sugar sand, I had no problems at all. The silicate based sand won't hurt anything at all...just not as convenient and won't buffer the PH.

The silicates feeds diatoms. I am not sure if the sand yields free silicates, but probably so. The calcium carbonate based aragonite will not buffer the PH except from huge drops since the PH is kept in the range of 8.0+
It is a more natural sand for a reef though and I personally like it.

Back