Is Tincture of Iodine (7%) the same as Lugols just stonger?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
So as I understand it, Lugols is 2% iodine? I have a bottle of a tincture of iodine which is 7% iodine. So if I dilute it down to 2% can I use it the same as Lugols?

thanks,

So as I understand it, Lugols is 2% iodine? I have a bottle of a tincture of iodine which is 7% iodine. So if I dilute it down to 2% can I use it the same as Lugols?

thanks,

Since no one has replied, I found out the following:

"Tincture of iodine is a disinfectant, usually 8% elemental iodine in ethanol."

Therefore, I assume that it has alcohol, I would normally assume that was bad, but I have been reading how people add vodka to the water for various positive effects, therefore I would not think that the small amount of alcohol would have any detrimental effects. Whatch think??

I also read here (http://www.reefs.org/library/article/e_edelman2.html) that tincture of iodine can be used as a dip.

Plus I found a thread that said "Well, I use a saltwater iodine dip. 10 drops of 2% tincture of iodine to 8 oz of tank water for 15 to 20 minutes. I squirt the zoas periodically with a turkey baster to get the baddies loose.

Nudis will be stunned enough to fall off the zoas. I check for egg spirals when I remove the zoas from the dip.

If everything looks good, they go into a tank. A lot of times I put them into a breeder basket at the top of the tank where I can keep an eye on them for a week or so.

The zoas seem less stressed with the sw dip compared to fw. They open up a lot sooner... within the hour even.

Btw, that recipe is my general purpose strong iodine coral dip. It's been good for knocking monti nudis and acro eating flatworms on their butts... er tails. I'm going to play around with povidone/betadine for dipping. Sounds like it can be more effective than the I2 KI combination."

So I am going to try it......

I ended up doing a salt water dip since my RO water was too cold. I took 2 drops of tincture of iodine (7%) and added 12 drops of water. 2 out of the 14 drops (1/7) was iodine, therefore I diluted to 7% x 1/7 = 1% Iodine.

I then added 10 drops of this 1% mixture to 16 oz of warm salt water directly from the tank.

I stuck in my zoanthid frags and soaked about 10 minutes. Some shrimp immediately came out of the rock and freaked out, dying shortly after. I blasted with baster and twirled him about and only saw other shrimp, no nudibranch. Perhaps the one I picked off was the only one???

the coral seems the same, a few polyps opened and looked unphased.

Next time I might increase the conentration a little,

Travis

Back