Is Type 1 Ultra Pure Water Good Bad or Really Good??????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Work Water

I can get large amounts of Type 1 ultrapure water from my work. I am wondering if its ok for my tank. We have barnstead nanopure diamonds everywhere. So is it bad good or really good???? Here is the Link for the specs http://www.thermo.com/eThermo/CMA/PDFs/Product/productPDF_6998.pdf
Total Organic Carbon < 1 ppbillion

From what I could read it looked ok I tried to see if these sytems were just a RO unit working with a UV, Or did they have a Deminerlizer on the final stage?

The saying is this you strip all your inpuites out and your salt mix puts back in the proper blend of chemicals and minerals to resemble the ocean. With that being said I have been using my work water for over 7 years and am quite dependant on it,Then of coarse mine makes 275 gallons per min.
Great stuff the wash your car off with as well, I think your Thermo unit will do a fine job elimnating that dreaded phosphate. How big is you system?
I would start off slow with a 5-10% water change every 2 weeks and monitor your tank very closely. As for adding it to top off your tank for evaporation losses do it slowly and you should be ok.
Your lucky to have such a nice resource.

Hey, I'm also using lab water. I got a 5 filter millipore system from a lab that was going down, and its great.

I see that unit reads resistance. For pure water, it should be reading around 18 omh of resistance.

When I first started using mine (with the filters that were already in it) it was reading 12 ohms, and seemed fine in the tank. Over a couple of months it went down to just a few ohms and I replaced the filters. Now its reading 18 ohms, and working great.

So, if you keep the resistance rating at 18 ohms, you probably have some extremely high quality aquarium water.

I'm no expert though, so don't listen to me

id say check it with a td meter and see if it reads zero or as close to it as possible. I use zepherhills distilled and I have check alot of water brands and filtration systems. ZH is the best for me. Filtration systems must be maintained and will reflect in the td readings.
Rich

I'm not exactly sure how it all works, but doesn't reading the voltage across the water and the resistance across the water do the same thing as the TD meter? Electricity needs the ions, phosphates, etc. to conduct, so if it can't hold any voltage and there is crazy resistance, I'd think you could convert that into TD. Let me look up to see if there is a conversion....

Here we go. This chart will take your voltage reading or the resistance reading your thermo unit puts out and convert it to the aquarium standard TDS reading.

http://www.filterswater.com/water-purification/convtds.html

Hey JR, you definately rate an Expert in my book at least much much more educated on water chemistry than most of us. Does this type of filtration equipment tipically have such high GPH as aposed to GPD on RODI units. Also how about waste water ratios?

Todd

I only know from experience, not from any intellectual research. I'll take an educated guess though.

The cheap $100 RO units just have a really weak pump I think, which is why they give low GPH. If you want something that gives high output, you need a good pump FORCING the water through the filter media. There is a lot of resistance as it gets filtered.

I work in a biology research lab, which is why I know some about these. Thermo is a equipment supplier for biotech. So, their unit can't just slowely drip water out like the 100 dollar ones a lot of reefers use. It has to be able to fill up bottles to use for reagents, media, etc. So, no one would buy these if they flow rate was slow. Not sure on the price of that unit he listed, but if I had to take a guess I'd say 1-2k dollars. On all the lab grade filters, there is a high flow rate, as well as a gauge to measure resistance across the water. Once it drops from 18 ohms, its time to start thinking about replacing filters.

I have a pretty large size filter in my basement that I got from a lab that was getting taken down. Think probably weights 50 lbs, but it can fill a 35 gallon garbage can in about 100 minutes. The one I have is usually installed under the sink and would have its own 'DI water faucet' attached to it.

As for waste water, I've really only used lab ones. I'd guess you run if for a minute or 2 to get the resistance up to 18 ohms, and maybe that would be 0.5-1 gallon of water, or thereabouts.

Again, I just have experience from using these. I don't really know much at all about the filter media, etc. I had one set of replacement filters on mine, but when I have to do it again, I'm probably going to have to talk to the guys at filtermidia.com or something to figure out what to do, as my millipore filter is made in germany and is all metric. I'm hoping I can find some cheap aquarium grade filter media to put in, as I think ordering the actual replacement cylenders from germany might cost some crazy amount of money, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Thanks Rob, Good info I'll have to keep my eye open for any similar lab equipment up for sale.

Todd

unfortunately, of you can't get the stuff for free, sometimes the price tag for lab grade stuff is pretty expensive.

If you are looking though, here's a site:

www.labx.com

it is the ebay of lab equipment (although some does make it onto actual ebay also)

unfortunately, of you can't get the stuff for free, sometimes the price tag for lab grade stuff is pretty expensive.

If you are looking though, here's a site:

www.labx.com

it is the ebay of lab equipment (although some does make it onto actual ebay also)

LOL I get gallons for free < 1 ppb toc

Back