it always gets bigger! 40b Upgrade

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rukis

So as most of you have seen, I started last year with a 29G, then went to a 29 Biocube.

Well after spending some time with Rob today, and him telling me that today was the last day for buck per gallon at Petco, i ran over and picked up a 40 Breeder.

So here we go again, I am upgrading. I dropped the tank off with Rob, he is going to drill it and plumb it for me. I have been to about 4 other Petco's and couldnt find a 20 Long for a sump.. but i found one on Craigslist and am still waiting on that...

So I am excited... alittle too excited... hahah just got a 36" 6 bulb T5HO with 12 LED's for nightlights... YaY!

So i will end up needing a few more lb's of rock since coming from a BioCube.. Hmm gonna have to look when i pick up the tank from rob.

So i expect to have tomorrow or by Monday, hopefully i will be able to get my hands on a 20L so i wont be forced to use my 15, *ithink* 24x12x12..

As soon as i get it picked up i will start posting pic's.. I plan on staying with black sand. and dont have a real plan for stocking... just the few fish i already have.. 4 clowns *2 black 2 ocelleris* Bangaii, Royal Gramma, couple firefish.. shrimps, crabs, etc...

MAN O MAN I CANT WAIT!! haha

So i got it home YaY!

So there are a few things i need to do before i do the switch.

1. Get the Plumbing.

I have spent a bit with Rob, over at Red C and have figured out the plan for the plumbing, so i will be going to home depot to grab what i still need today.

2. Paint the Back.

This one i am in debate with still. I have always had, and still love the black back. BUT i have seen a few photos with a real deep blue back and really liked it, so i think i want to try this. But when i look at the paint, i see a few different dark blues. So i will need to go when i have a min to decide. If anyone has any input on the different blues for the back that would be greatly appreciated.

3. Sump

I will be getting a 20L Sump from rob, the later end of next week. so when i get this, is when i will do the transfer as i will need to put the sump below when i make the change. I currently just have a 15 down there... atleast i think its a 15 haha 24x12x12

Waiting till the end of next week will be good because of me painting the back, i can take my time and put a few good coats on...

I am currently already rocking a 40breeder. but the one i have is not drilled, so i am excited to move forward just gotta get a few things done first.

Here is a flick of my current 40b:
imag0087pk.jpg

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/8536/hm1beyralwtvfywlkavlly.mp4

Heres the new one.

imag0101fa.jpg

imag0100dm.jpg

Gonna be fun!!! I have painted seveal back of tanks... well i painted smooth plywood. I go with dark color black/dark blue about 1/3+- up from bottom then i use a mix of light green/med. dark blue for a bit+- and then light blue w/small soft/dusting spray of white.

Gives depth but as you know need to keep back glass clea.......n:)

Have fun try different things:) I use note paper to try stuff on to see color mix's.

Last edited:
So you shade your way from dark on the bottom to lighter up top.. that sounds kinda cool.. when you lightly do white.. it just goes over the blue or you end up white at top?

It goes over the blue. You could get samples at HD and brush on that will work too. Just to see if you like it and look up underwater ocean pictures and copy:) Its one of those DIY's that the more effort chances are nicer outcome:)

So when painting when you put a layer on top of another color, the second layer shows through?

Does it blend? Or do I need to make the layers gradually get darker towards the bottom of the tank.. kind of like misting to ad the darker texture under the lighter color?

So say if I put the bottom 1/3 black, then took dark blue till about 70% up the tank and then a lighter blue for the 30% with 10% overlap for a total of 40% would the black and dark blue blend its way up from the blue coat that is over the black? And the light blue make the dark gradually lighter?

Thanks for the help..

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

That looks sweet! What kind of wood do you use?

That looks sweet! What kind of wood do you use?

I used a cheap masonite material that is faced on one side with a white gloss finish. It comes in a 4x8 sheet. I think the local box stores carry it. Itsi just like white board, but alot cheaper. Look in the paneling section.
Then I just painted it as Spinner described, starting at the bottom with the darkest, and go lighter in color as you get higher on the board. It lookd great on the back of the tank for a while. Then the algae and coraline took over. I knew that would be case, but I needed to hide the HOB Skimmer, and the closed loop plumbing.

sweet, i will look for something local around here and see if i can find it... i like what you did with that, making my mind work like crazy. i went and bought 2 diff shades of blue and black. so now i just gotta find this board.

tomorrow gotta grab the plumbing, and this board.

So I got all the plumbing, I haven't been able to find anything to paint to put on the back..

Sump will be ready Tuesday I believe so that is swap date hopefully!
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

You can also paint a plastic light panel from Lowes or HD and install a low watt light behind it after it's painted:)

So its Done, YaY!!!!

The back is all painted, the tank is switched, the 20L Sump is in place underneath... plumbing is done....

My buddy came by and helped me do the swap, man o man, how much easier it is with an extra pair of hands...

So on to a few pics!!!

After Paint
imag0266m.jpg

imag0265xq.jpg

Final
imag0279r.jpg

I will upload some more photos later.

I am really love'n the aquascape, took a bit, but we finally got it all the way I liked...

Now its time to let things settle, and then off to adding back corals..

I took most to my office tank.. My 8 Gallon BioCube.

let me know what you think, always love input...

-damien

Your background turned out sweet! Also like the rock scape.
Looking forward to pics of the corals in place.
Nice job!

Alright so I know its been a bit from updates, but I have been getting things fine tuned.

I added a MP10W ES to the tank and removed all those big chunky power heads from in the tank... wow, looks like I got so much more room.

I was having an issue with inconsistent water levels in my tank, it seemed like I couldn't keep the water in my display tank, it would always fill the sump. After a bit of playing with it and constant ball valve playing, I put the drain at the top of the water level in the sump, and BOOOOM it was fixed. I had it dropped all the way to the bottom of the sump, and I am not sure how that was the problem, but hey, it is steady.

I haven't started bringing coral home yet, only thing in the tank, are 2x RBTA's and a Hammer. Minus a few zoa's here and there that are attached to rock. I wasn't sure what kinda spike I was gonna see after upgrading to the 40. Adding more sand, rock, etc...

but after daily tests, my levels are on point.

So it seems like its time to start putting some awesomeness in the tank!!

I will get some photos of what we are lookin like today, and then post up tonite or tomorrow.

Back