It's a hard choice, can you help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Naso2

triggerfish
I am thinking about trading my 450g 96"X36"X30" for a 500g 60"X60"X32". Can someone help me with the advantages of sticking with my tank and switching to this new footprint.

How bout top to bottom depth? 2" doesnt sound like alot, until you put your arm in and you cant reach the bottom. But 500g would be great! Tough choice!

I already need a step ladder at 30". My tank is a walk around but I have to put it up against the wall. I thought this 500g tank would be better for viewing. But I want to know how the cube rather then a long tank will efect larger 12"+ fish.

Last edited:
Sounds like a very easy choice. A 450 box AND a 500 cube : )

I have the 96x24X30 and already lament the premise that the tank is only 2' wide. I hope to get a 3' tank someday and can only imagine 5' to play with. Are you doing a built-in?

It will be in my fish room between the wall and the boiler. Probably not built in but we will see. I wish I could have both but he wants to do a trade and I wouldn't have room for both well maby but my family would kill me.

Last edited:
I don't know man...That is tough. You have a choice of basically a huge cube versus a long tank! For me, I think your current tank would appeal to me more (depending on fish selection) over the cube even though I love them. :)

I'm with Krish. 8 foot long by 3 foot deep would appeal more to me than a 5x5 foot cube. Also my 210 is 30" tall. I would hate a tank that was any taller. 32" tall would be a deal breaker to me.

Once you go cube...........LOL...I love cubes. More surface area , put an island of rock in the middle for fish to swim around and corals. What the problem? Cube the only way to go. I wish I had a cube that size......and the room for it....LOL And most fish don't care much about hiegth, but more area to swim.

Once you go cube...........LOL...I love cubes. More surface area , put an island of rock in the middle for fish to swim around and corals. What the problem? Cube the only way to go. I wish I had a cube that size......and the room for it....LOL And most fish don't care much about hiegth, but more area to swim.

+1 that's what I'm saying. 60x60. Plenty of room to do islands. That'd be awesome. I hate having rocks near glass I'd love to have a Center island of some sort.
Hence why I want a wider tank.

What would the viewing angles be like for both tanks? 3 sides for both?
My vote stands on cube personally.
I'd only maybe go 6 foot length.
Good luck:)
Steven

I have to ask. All of those so adamant on the cube. Have you ever had a 30" tall tank? Do you think you would like to dunk your face in your tank or get very good with tongs to do all of your bottom end maintenance on a 32" tall tank?

I have posted before that I hate swimming in my tank even tho I am very hands on.
Probably because I have a one yr old that likes to help:)
I wouldn't mind having tongs and I could see how that much depth would bug you if your always in your tank.

So I cannot speak from experience.
But I'm saying I wouldn't mind. I just have a towel.

How often are you actually in your tank once your get corals setup?

Maybe to add new coral? How often is that?
Or to pick out dead hermis?
I have very fine black sand do I'm always trying to fix my sand bed when I get annoyed of it blowing everywhere from my return.
Also maybe to frag things?
I go thru fazes of getting in it. I try not to but it usually is a everyday thing. Sometimes multiple times, but I would love a wider bigger tank to Aqua scape with. I think I have a awesome setup now but I'd love to see down the back side with having a wider tank.
:)
Just my two cents.
I am only 5'11 so I have average length.
Do you mind swimming. :D

Well it turns out the cube is 62"X62"X28" way better dimmentions so I'm going for the cube. Thanks for all your input and advice.

I will since I'm not going to do a reef I'm playing with the concept of a single 400w with a huge custom 4.5ft reflector to brining out the color in the fish.

if your not doing a reef then what about doing cheaper leds. on my fowlr i have 2 aquatic life 4' strips of 50% blue and 50% white. this is the only time ill not say that the OBD are the way to go. although they will look good. but the aquatic life are $125 each. and are better on energy than the halides. my $0.02

I am going to have some show quality fish in there and for me a metal halide will always beat a cheap led. I'm willing to pay more for the colors of the fish.

Well the deal fell a part and I'm kinda depressed. I guess it's for the best because my family is not happy.
but I get to pick up my new (to me) 75g reef on Sunday. I will have pics up by Monday.

Back