It's All About Flow!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

Most of us understand that we want to export as many nasties out of our tank as we can.
That being said I am starting at square 1.

My tank will sit on a platform, that will set on a steel stand. The cross members of the steel stand can not be moved. I do not want to plumb in my closed loop system and find out that one of the steel cross members is in the way of the hole I have drilled!!!!
I do not want to just drill the holes in the bottom of the tank "Willie Nillie" just to miss the steel cross members either.

So that brings me to designing the rock work in the tank to be sure I am able to get the proper barrel roll flow. All of the out-puts from the closed loop must be hidden in the rock work.
I will be drafting Mojo to create this flow without disturbing my rock structure design.

I started by laying out the inside dimensions of the tank on some white paper, 38'' X 48''. Then I marked the steel cross members with blue tape.
I acquired some styrofoam form OBD's fish boxes. And a 2'' X 4' X 8' sheet from the big box store.

This is the start of the left hand side of the tank.
20130116_173414.jpg

20130116_173424.jpg

20130116_173432.jpg

20130116_173448.jpg

20130116_173503.jpg

I have about 350lbs of dry dead rock to make this happen.

Looks like its goin to be real nice! Question though. Did you actually find a piece of rock that looks like a fish? Or are you going to sculpt one? Regarding the "fish" shape in the middle.

Looks like its goin to be real nice! Question though. Did you actually find a piece of rock that looks like a fish? Or are you going to sculpt one? Regarding the "fish" shape in the middle.

Have you never heard of a Rock Fish??? LOL

The shapes you see in the pics are all ball-park shapes/sizes.
Most reef rocks are limestone and very easily shaped, I will use a tile saw, sander, grinder, pliers,screwdriver, grinder, and whatever else I have laying around to shape the rock. Plan on using acrylic rod, zip-ties,cement,foam,and silicone to hold the structures together.

I'm so glad someone beat me to the fish comment. The design phase is one of my favorite parts of reef keeping. Second only to the build. Looking good!

I am with you Trido.
The design and build are my favorite part of ANYTHING I put on my bench. From a toothpick holder to a puzzle box.

Its all about the HUNT!!!!

Have you never heard of a Rock Fish??? LOL

The shapes you see in the pics are all ball-park shapes/sizes.
Most reef rocks are limestone and very easily shaped, I will use a tile saw, sander, grinder, pliers,screwdriver, grinder, and whatever else I have laying around to shape the rock. Plan on using acrylic rod, zip-ties,cement,foam,and silicone to hold the structures together.

Love how you mentioned grinder twice........NICE.

You're to much Dave, really too much... where is your spontaneity... reacting on the fly... going with the flow... drifting with the tide...

Cheers, Todd

WOW you gave me an idea for my new tank to sculpt my rockwork as you have done for your mock-up and just coat it all in cement! ( i know this is nothing new, but not spoke of much in reef tanks) get Exactly what you want ( even the rockfish) and then shove all the live rock in an external tank. The wheels are turning!!!!

You're to much Dave, really too much... where is your spontaneity... reacting on the fly... going with the flow... drifting with the tide...

Cheers, Todd

My spontaneity was washed out to sea right after my first acrylic tank build
110_2505.jpg

110_2504.jpg

WOW you gave me an idea for my new tank to sculpt my rockwork as you have done for your mock-up and just coat it all in cement! ( i know this is nothing new, but not spoke of much in reef tanks) get Exactly what you want ( even the rockfish) and then shove all the live rock in an external tank. The wheels are turning!!!!

With a bit of imagination, an assortment of tools and some means of welding or connecting reef rock I feel I can create the shape I am looking for, AND hide the vital CL plumbing.
It will take a great deal of time to get it just right........ I'm in no big hurry. LOL

Back