Iwaki 220v pump efficiency

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jason Cody

I recently acquired an Iwaki 220 volt pump which can pump 1104 GPH. Will this pump run more efficiently than if it were a 110v or would it be visa versa? I'd hate to get it set up just to learn I can't pay the mortgage because of it. Thank you.

Yes it will be slightly more efficient. You won't have a big problem with this pump. How many watts and amps does it say it uses?

I don't have it with me right now but I looked up the Iwaki website and the specs say 90w Output/130w input. Does this sound correct? The pump model number is md-55r with a max head of 29 feet.

Sounds about right to me. That pump pulls about 240 watts when running on 110v.

So do you think it's a good idea to move ahead with this pump and run a 220v line to it? I'll be pushing the water from my sump in the basement to the main floor. I built two large overflows to handle the capacity of the pump and will also add ball valves and unions to restrict if necessary.

Actually there is no efficiency gain. 240 watts at 120 vac or 120 watts at 240 vac is the same power consumption. Unless the power utility only charges you for a single phase of your incoming power then there is no monetary gain from using 240 instead of 120. (My utility charges for both A and B phase) The gains come from wiring, i.e. smaller wire size and such.

big t said:
Yes it will be slightly more efficient. You won't have a big problem with this pump. How many watts and amps does it say it uses?

Ok, thank you.

The big monetary gain for me is the fact that the pump was free and brand new in the box. Now I can use my wallet for other equipment that I still need.

Thanks again!

DonW told me that 220 was 'slightly' more efficient then 110. He said the motor's run cooler and have a little more torque. I don't know how he knows that but that was my source.

I would assume that Don knows what he's talking about. More than likely what he's refering to is the start amperage. Most motors take 6-10 times the full load amps to start. Using 240 vac will decrease that somewhat. However, in this small of a motor there wouldn't be any noticable differance. Maybe with a 1 HP or something there would be though. The motors will run cooler due to the lower (half) amperage draw.
I actually had a well respected local electrician tell me that 240 vac was cheaper to run. This was in reference to my metal halide lighting. I did the math and could not see where he came up with that. When I tried to pin him down on it he said "I don't know how it works but it does". My argument was that watts are watts. 2000 watts at 120 vac or 1000 watts at 240vac (each phase) cost the same to run. Bare in mind that with lighting there is not the same higher start amperage that a loaded motor will see, so it's not a real good comparison here.
Anyway, free is free. I wish someone would have given my a pump or two also.:D

Back