Japanese Halcrias sp. Anemone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hmm ohh yeah i don't have the permission to see the thread :) .
i don't know why but they never let me see things there :p

Here you go....

rshimek said:
Hi,

This same image was in an earlier thread, wherein it was described as being from Japanese waters and found at depths of 200 ft.

Checking again in the Biogeoinformatics of Hexacorals Site, I found the genus Halcurias listed with 3 species, Halicurias carlgreni and two, as yet scientifically undescribed species, other species from Japanese waters. It is possible that the illustrated species may be one of those. The reference is Uchida H. and Soyama I., 2001, Sea Anemones of Japanese Waters, which I, unfortunately do not have in my library.

None of the images in the hexacoral site show the living animal, and all preserved anemones are grey or tan. Neither do any of the descriptions at that site give the color. So.... I can't confirm if any of these species are the animal in question, however, given the similarity of the names, it seems possible.

I don't think any anemone found at 200 feet from Japanese waters would do well in a brightly illuminated coral reef aquarium. In addition to the animal likely requiring a dimmer situation than most reef tanks are kept at, it would likely require cooler temperatures than is optimal for most reef tanks.

Thanks so much Nick :) .
That's really interesting :) to bad they don't have any pictures of the anemone or anything like that.

Basically that link shows a diving picture wich shows it being in dim lighting hence the flash on the photo and some flow but otherwise no one really seems to know anything except it probably comes from 200 foot waters and the color is questionable but no one really knows the picture shows it yellow so it may be the correct color hey some deep water acros are yellow . I would upload but it is to large

http://diving.marine.mepage.jp/photo/D0098/P1010010.JPG

Cool :) jeffkeith us thanks it really is that color and it eats shrimp and someone is keeping one in a nano :)

Back