Japanese Reef Tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MonsterAquatics

I've seen a few sps tanks with no visible equipment. How do you accomplish this? How do you get the water to a sump with no possible way to overflow the sump incase of power outage? Have a generator on standby?
Any ideas?

I've seen a few sps tanks with no visible equipment. How do you accomplish this? How do you get the water to a sump with no possible way to overflow the sump incase of power outage? Have a generator on standby?
Any ideas?

Now thats a tough one. I'm using check valves and a number of failsafe back-up features for my zero edge clone but its easier to get the water into the sump since it just overflows.

Don

Hello MonsterA, welcome to RF.

Are u asking about the sump overflowing in case of power outage? I think if you size your sump well then it should be able to handle the excess water from the main tank.

Example of tricks i learned is that on the return pipe from the sump to the main tank, you will drill a hole just barely on top of the water surface of the main tank so that when there is no power, this will break the siphon going back to the sump.

I used to have a 10 gallon sump on 60 gallon tank. And it worked out fine.

Last edited:
Thats sweet Don. Have you seen one that has been set up for some time.
I have a hard enough time keeping one side of the glass clean, let alone both sides.
Would you have to shut it down to clean the out side ( water splashing ).
PS is there more info on this type of set up. I would be vary interested in seeing other set ups and how they work etc.

Thats sweet Don. Have you seen one that has been set up for some time.
I have a hard enough time keeping one side of the glass clean, let alone both sides.
Would you have to shut it down to clean the out side ( water splashing ).
PS is there more info on this type of set up. I would be vary interested in seeing other set ups and how they work etc.

Mine is close, so we'll see. Ive only talked to a whole bunch of people about them, most of those people were not knowlegable and the rest needed hipwaders the bs was so deep. All the zeroedge work the same including my clone. The only thing special about them is the undertank drain boxes and the overly thick acrylic. According to what they claim a regular mag float works fine without shutting down the return, that remains to be seen. Mine is one big expensive experiment, if nothing else its pretty.:)

Don

Example of tricks i learned is that on the return pipe from the sump to the main tank, you will drill a hole just barely on top of the water surface of the main tank so that when there is no power, this will break the siphon going back to the sump.

Just make sure that you drill the hole on a "downward" angle. Otherwise you will have a geiser on your hands. How do I know? I drilled my return as was mentioned and when I fired up my tank the first time I had water shoot all the way across my apartment!! :D

snails on the out side......

and like said have to shut down to clean the both sides of the glass,?

snails on the out side......

and like said have to shut down to clean the both sides of the glass,?

Nope you can leave it running and snails dont cause splashing. My returns are so big It wouldnt matter if the snails crawled all the way to the sump and back.:)

Don

do all 4 sides over flow?

i mean even if one side over flows... the glass would have to be cleaned on the inside and the out side no?

lets see some pics don...

sounds great!

do all 4 sides over flow?

i mean even if one side over flows... the glass would have to be cleaned on the inside and the out side no?

lets see some pics don...

sounds great!

Just 3 sides overflow. I have to wait until after chrismas to get a new camera. The outside only get s a film it wipes off easily with one of those scrubbers with a handle. Wiping the glass ever two weeks or so is no big deal.

Don

Back