Jayson & Thi-Le's Reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaysauce

Hi everybody! Finally getting a chance to post up pictures of our tank and setup. My girlfriend and I have had this tank running since December 2011. We have been in saltwater for 2.5 years and last had a 20 gallon nano tank. We had to move 3 times within a one month period and we lost a lot of corals/fish in the process. We decided to start fresh with this system and some of the corals/fish that made it through the move.

TANK SPECS
Display: 50 Gallon AquaPro Rimless (36"x18"x18")
Sump: 9 Gallon AquaPro Rimless (12"x12"x14")
Stand: Top Fin Stand Customized w/ White Paint and Frosted Glass Doors
Biological Filtration: ~22lbs of liverock (Bulk Reef Supply Pukani Dry Rock), 1.5” Sandbed (Oolite Sugar Sized Sand), ½ cup Bulk Reef Supply Bio-pellets in Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Reactor
Lighting: 2x Aqua Illumination Nano
Protein Skimmer: Bubble Magus NAC6a
Heater: 150W Jager
Water Motion: 2x Eco-Tech Vortech MP10 ES, Eheim 1260 Return Pump
Filter Media: 6 tsp Bulk Reef Supply ROX 0.8 Carbon
ATO: JBJ ATO with Aqualifter Pump and 5 Gallon Bucket
Controller: Neptune Apex w/ Temp and pH Probes, Neptune VDM
Calcium Reactor: GEO 612 w/ Eheim 1048 Pump, Reef Fanatic CO2 Regulator, Neptune pH Probe, AquaPro Bubble Counter, 10# CO2 Tank

LIVESTOCK
Palys/Zoas: Chong Bongs, Candy Apple Reds, Avocados, Armor of Gods, Real Deal People Eaters (Cherry Corals), Rastas
SPS: Red Montipora Cap, Green Hydnophora, Red Planet, Green Millepora, Orange Digitata
LPS: Rainbow Rings Acan (Cherry Corals), Rainbow Rings of Saturn Acan (Cherry Corals), Orange Kool Aid Acan (Cherry Corals), Green Aussie Acan, Gold Torch, Aussie Elegance, Green Torch, Bi-color Frogspawn, Green Hammerspawn, ORA Red Goniopora, Bright Pink Goniopora, Yellow Goniopora, Rainbow Goniopora, Branching Pink Goniopora, Pulsing Xenia, Orange Wall Hammer, Octopus Coral
Clams: Crocea, Maxima
Other: Clownfish, Chromis, ORA Green Mandarin, Scooter Blenny, Sixline Wrasse, Red Spotted Dottyback, Yellow Watchman Goby, Bengaii Cardinals, Bicolor Pseudochromis, Astrea Snails, Hermit Crabs, Nassarius Snails, Fighting Conchs, Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, Red Linkia Starfish, Flame Algae

We know our sump is a little small but so far it has been working perfectly fine for our system..trying something new

Now for the photos...
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

That lighting is so cool!! Tank and setup looks amazing definitaly at the top of my list for a 50G and below tank!!!

Great setup!! I think that's the most compact sump I've seen yet! Tank looks great! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have to agree that's a clean look display. I like the hiding of the lighting to look like everyday lighting in the house. And the moon lighting. Great job! Kinda envious. Lol

HTC tapatalk

Definitely WOW! Great looking system, very clean work +1 on hiding the lighting in plain sight.

Cheers, Todd

Wow, great setup and very nice looking. I like the lighting aproach and rock work. You have all everything there to grow out a cool reef system. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the comments everyone! Really appreciate it. We will try to keep posting more pictures. We are waiting for our frags to grow out a little more and get a nice macro lens for my DSLR so we can put some nice pics of corals up.

Great setup!! I think that's the most compact sump I've seen yet! Tank looks great! :)

Haha. I initially did a power outage test and the water level in the sump rose to literally the brim of the sump and it didn't flood over. I have since added a little under 3 inches of glass (I forgot the exact measurement) to the top of the sump as seen in the photos. I have done several power outage tests and we went though that snow storm/blackout in January for a few hours and the sump does not flood over.

Wow, great setup and very nice looking. I like the lighting aproach and rock work. You have all everything there to grow out a cool reef system. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Thang!! Hopefully my tank can be as beautiful as yours someday =]

Next thing I need to do is figure out how to hide my top-off water container. I was thinking either inside a storage ottoman on the right side of the tank or building a custom container to fit in the space where the LPS food is next to my calcium reactor. Not sure how big of a container I can fit in there though. Right now I have to fill my 5 gallon bucket about every 6 days.

Very nice set up and love the way you did the lights. :D Can't wait to see the tank once everything starts to fill in. Keep us posted and we want more pictures, please. :D

Cheers,
Alex

Great job you two. I loved your 20g rimless. This one looks well thought out as well. Love the creative use of home lighting enclosures. Please update as the tank progresses.

(reef addictsdesign) so the water enters through gray pipe to pvc pipe and exits half-way down pvc fitting while beneath the water, but allows air to stay in pvc fitting and rise to the top of the fitting?
is it just a pvs cap drilled for the size of drain pipe then a section of pvc tube connected to cap (a certain legnth) .....my plan is to try this on my drain from frag tank to seahorse tank....its a constant flow from frag tank....but it always is filled with bubbles and until i fix my bubble issue cant have seahorses in the tank....i have my frag tank above seahorse tanks level...the drain on frag tank is t 1 side goes to sump one to seahorse but recently i have closed flow to frag tank and sent all flow to SH tank ....its just 1" pvc dropping into top of tank... i have tried a # of differnt ways to stop bubbles but i cant have any restriction or when pump is shut off it will not get air bubble out of drain pipe and will overflow my frag tank( done that way too many times) it has to just be a gravity drain without a siphon setup( like my other tanks are).....sorry if this was all over the place i just had a bunch of new ideas i can try..... i will take pics and start a new thread to try and get some ideas going for me....

Back