JBJ 24g question. new setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jagid1

Hullo!

I am thinking about buying a 24 gallon JBJ nano AIO, and was considering drilling it for an overflow to a 10 gallon sump (I know its small, but I have a never-been-used 10 gallon that I have no better use for, and it seems to me that more water never hurt anything...).

The JBJ "says" that the pump included with it is rated at 290gph.. I was considering ditching that one, and getting a Maxi-Jet 1800 utility pump to use as my return pump.... Its my understanding that the Maxi Jet 1800 at 4 feet of head provides about 250gph.

Should I jump up to a bigger return pump, or is the loss of that 40gph going to matter that much in the long run?

thanks a ton!

-James

It all depends on the speed of your overflow for the return, if the return is too fast the pump will run dry in the sump (very bad), if its too slow you'll have a longer dwell time in the sump (not a bad thing)

hmm.

I understand about the overflow speed, I havent installed the plumbing yet, so I have wiggle room on the design there..

what I am wondering is if 250 gph of flow in the tank (the rate of return from the sump) is sufficcient. its just about 10x the volume of the tank per hour.

does anybody forsee problems with that, or should i buy a bigger return pump to increase flow in the display tank?

thanks again.

-James

Think about going a little less on the return flow, so you have maybe 5x turn over in the sump. Then address flow in your display with small power heads. I run a Koralia Nano, and a Vortech MP10 in my 28 Nanocube.

gotcha

Think about going a little less on the return flow, so you have maybe 5x turn over in the sump. Then address flow in your display with small power heads. I run a Koralia Nano, and a Vortech MP10 in my 28 Nanocube.

OK. that makes perfect sense, but I dont think that I had ever heard (read) anybody actually say that...

Back