Jbj 28gal hood?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

josh88

Ok so I have the standard hood with the double ended mh on it and the 4 moon led on it. My ? Is jbj has new all led hood. Should I just upgrade to this instead of the standard hood. I don't know much about led, and what they put out other than the fact that its a specific spectrum of light. Which I recently learnd
http://www.jbjnanocubes.com/contents/en-us/p10985_28-led_-_replacement-hood.html

HTC tapatalk

LEDs are the new craze! They don't produce as much heat as metal halides do as well as they don't consume as much electricity as metal halides do. Up until LEDs came out, metal halides were the preferred light of choice I'd say by the majority who were looking for a light system that packed enough punch to keep any type of coral. All you needed was basically one bulb for every 2x2 foot of space and wattage depended more on tank depth where as with other lights, you needed multiple bulbs to try and match up.

Nowadays, LEDs are proving to hold their own against halides in that people are keeping those hard to keep corals under LEDs and to top it off, with gas prices rising, the energy savings far surpasses the initial cost as in the light will pay for itself in no time. I haven't toyed with LEDs yet, but I would imagine you would have to choose your setup wisely. Some LEDs may not have a high enough par rating to support all corals so you will have to research a bit.

So what do you do? Lol:p. Guess you have to decide if you want to fork out money for a new hood that will produce less heat (if heat is an issue for you) or keep what you have that can support whatever coral you want at the expense of a bit more heat added to the tank and money on your electricity bill. They LEDs they offer I'd imagine would support whatever you needed it to. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I know right. From what I've read on the forums. This new hood seems to meet the requirements. And jbj makes their tanks to support many sw environments. Maybe I'll research more.

HTC tapatalk

Back